FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD-SDI vs HDMI

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nathan Golon
HD-SDI vs HDMI
on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:39:26 pm

I'm considering buying a new on-camera monitor (perhaps the SmallHD monitor) and have also been looking into buying a more traditional video camera to use alongside my HDSLRs, and I keep reading that it is a significant drawback to not have HD-SDI monitoring capabilities. I haven't used HD-SDI before, so I'm looking for some insight into this.

For example, the Panasonic AG-AF101 has HD-SDI, and the comparable Sony NEX FS100 does not. Also, for the SmallHD monitor, there is a $400 difference between the version that has HD-SDI and the one that just has HDMI, composite and component. I want to make sure I get these purchases right... so why is this such an important feature? I haven't needed it up until now and I'm wondering if it's something I may need to invest in as I transition from doing mostly web video to occasional projects meant for broadcast. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: HD-SDI vs HDMI
on Mar 29, 2011 at 12:30:27 am

HD-SDI uses professional locking connectors and inexpensive, widely available cable. HDMI has consumer oriented, non-locking plugs and cables will actually be more expensive if you need to make a longer run. I have the HDMI only version of the DP6 from SmallHD and it works great with the output of the Panasonic GH2. I've actually never had a camera that outputs SDI, but my Kona card does output HD-SDI to my Panasonic broadcast monitor. Basically, anything with HD-SDI is going to be more expensive, but probably more robust. You have to decide whether or not it is worth it for you.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Nathan Golon
Re: HD-SDI vs HDMI
on Mar 29, 2011 at 2:05:04 pm

Thanks, Jason.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]