FORUMS: list search recent posts

What camera is best for me?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Davis
What camera is best for me?
on Mar 25, 2011 at 6:23:57 pm

OK so I just graduated from film school and looking to get involved in some freelance and short films.. I am hoping to become a DP someday but right not I am looking for work as a cameraman and photographer.

I have a budget of around £1500 give-or-take and looking to get a great DSLR with full HD video compatibility. I have looked at both the Canon 7D and 5D mark 2 as they seem to come up again and again on film sites. Can anyone give me some advice of what to go for or what would be best for me? or if anyone has experience of either camera that would be really appreciated too! Or maybe there is another camera out there that's better than these for a similar price?

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help I can get!

Return to posts index

Jason Myres
Re: What camera is best for me?
on Mar 25, 2011 at 8:38:46 pm

check this out...

http://philipbloom.net/2011/03/17/whichdslr/

JM

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Mar 25, 2011 at 9:51:47 pm

If you are down to choosing between the Canon 5D and Canon 7D and you primarily want to do video I'd suggest the the 7D. It has far more options in video than the 5D, and it's sensor is almost the same size as Super 35mm film.

If however you are primarily doing stills consider the 5D, it's much better as a stills camera than the 7D. The only difference the 5D offers over the 7D in video is lower depth of field (due to the larger frame size of the sensor), quite frankly at it's extreme it maybe desirable for special situations but generally it's very difficult to track focus on a slightly moving object.

If you settle on the 7D also consider the 60D which has all the same technical features as the 7D, not quite as robust, but it's cheaper and has a flip out rotating viewfinder. And it's cheaper.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 25, 2011 at 11:09:04 pm

For $1,500 you can get a Panasonic GH2 with 14-140 lens. I'm loving mine.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Mar 25, 2011 at 11:38:06 pm

The camera is just part of what you will need in order to be an effective camera operator, are you including those costs in the figures you mentioned? I'm talking about things like a tripod, an ND filter, storage cards and loupe so that you can see the camera's LCD screen in bright outdoor sunlight. Then there's sound, is that included in your budget?

What about a lens? The kit lenses are "okay" but you will want to spend at least around $100 on a Canon "nifty 50" 1.8 lens.

If none of these real costs have been accounted for in your budget maybe take a look at the Canon T3i instead, it's basically the same as the 7D but in a more "plastic-y" body.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Mar 26, 2011 at 2:53:35 pm

Ever thought of the T2i (550D)? It's much cheaper than the 5DMkII or the 7D and has - if you have the Magic Lantern Firmware installed - a lot more video-features than the 7D. Very handy things like: focus peaking, manual audio, rack focussing etc... Almost "feels" like a camcorder ;)

Picture quality is almost the same as of the 7D (the 550D is a bit noisier with high ISOs).

We work a lot with the 7D and the 550D and I really find the 550D (with Magic Lantern) a lot more useful in video-mode than the 7D.

Another benefit: You'd have left a bit of money for good lenses and other gear, that you'll definitly need when working with a DSLR.

Just my two cents.

Return to posts index

Andy Pauquette
on Mar 26, 2011 at 6:29:20 pm

I've got a 5dMkii and two T2i's, but if I were shopping now in your price range I'd take a good look at the 60d or T3i. I think the GH2 would be a great choice as well, if you enjoy adapting old lenses and such (I have a GH1 and shoot a lot with it and an old Pentax 50/1.4 screw mount lens).

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 27, 2011 at 7:16:15 am

Yeah 6 months ago I'd have said Canon 7D, then later 60D. These days my DSLR of choice is a GH2. If you can find one, they totally rock for image and versatility.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Roger Martin
on Mar 27, 2011 at 11:49:29 pm

I have had a 5D2 and still think it is Canon's best camera, especially for Video.
For my use, the Nikon D7000 beast it in every way.
Camera and 35mm f/1.8 lens $1400 + tax and shipping.

Return to posts index

Roger Martin
on Apr 7, 2014 at 6:33:10 pm

That was March 2011, this is 2014.
The D5300 is at least twice as good in low light.
I can now shoot acceptable images and video at 12,800 ISO.

My problem is the 10 minute limit on 1080 P60 Videos

My GH3 can shoot unlimited "unattended" because the AF-F is that good.
I already have a GH4 ordered because it should be even better in every way.

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Mar 28, 2011 at 1:18:48 am

How would the T3i intercut with 5D Mk II footage?

I'm going to buy a T3i as a second camera, specifically to mount on my Steadicam Merlin. The T3i size, weight, and flip out screen seem to make it ideal for this application.

Also, for the Steadicam application, I plan to buy the Canon 24mm f/2.8 lens, also because of size and weight. I've also got a 50mm f/2.5 macro which is almost identical in size and weight to the 24mm. I don't know if it will be practical to fly the 50mm.

The Steadicam Merlin is wonderful, but it is also as delicately balanced as an old HiFi phonograph arm. My shooting days are too hectic to use the Steadicam unless I get a dedicated body and lens that can be setup and prepped in advance.

The T3i flip out screen is perfect for the Steadicam because it will allow shooting behind with the operator walking forward, a huge advantage over walking backwards with a non-articulating screen on the T2i.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:14:47 am

[Danny Grizzle] "How would the T3i intercut with 5D Mk II footage"

Worked with footage of the 5DMkII, 7D and T2i on the same projects and to my experience, the only big difference between footage of the various canon VDSLRs is different noise with higher ISOs. Everything else can be adjusted in post with absolutely no effort.
So watch for noise, use good lenses on all cameras and shoot ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]