FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEGStreamclip DNxHD conversion

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Burger
MPEGStreamclip DNxHD conversion
on Mar 23, 2011 at 11:41:41 am

Hi there!

I'm working with footage from a 7D and a T2i on a windows machine. Since I don't have Premiere CS5 I still go the way of transcoding my footage to DNxHD with MPEGStreamclip for smoother editing (or to be honest: for being able to edit at all ;) ) and then color-correcting and grading in After Effects.

What do you think: When using DNxHD, is is better to stay in RGB (Canon VDSLR footage is RGB, isn't it?) or to convert during transcoding to 709, which is possible with MPEGStreamclip and DNxHD?

Does it matter at all what to use?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

David Shulkin
Re: MPEGStreamclip DNxHD conversion
on Mar 23, 2011 at 12:35:38 pm

Peter:
We convert to RGB and 10-bit color space (Quicktime) in MPEG Streamclip. Do any initial cleanup in AE of the files and fast import into Avid. Once done with the edit, we will CC in either Color or AE and reimport/relink (depending). This has been our most reliable workflow so far. Once conformed and completed we output in 709.

This is working for us without many issues. Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Mar 23, 2011 at 2:48:04 pm

Thanks David, for your input. Much appreciated!

That was my workflow til now (except, that I most of the time work with Premiere instead of AVID): Keeping RGB throughout the whole editig and postproduction process.

So, conversion to 709 while transcoding won't give me any advantages i.e. in After Effects?

I'm a bit confused since a vfx-guy told me recently to absolutely use 709 in the transcoding process of canon footage for best results (and of course to use 709 in After Effects).

Return to posts index

Yevheniy Pavlyuchenko
on Jul 15, 2013 at 12:08:14 pm

means to encode the video first in RGB then to when working in AE output to 709 right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]