FORUMS: list search recent posts

60D Alternative?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Huizen
60D Alternative?
on Mar 18, 2011 at 8:48:26 pm

Hi there,
I'm planning on buying a camera which shoots primarily (most important) really good video 1080p30 and 720p60 and can make decent photographs. I did some researched, and it turned out, HDdslr's are a good option, I was thinking of the pricerange of the Canon EOS 60D. But if it's worth, I am able to pay a little more or less.
So before I actually buy a camera, I would like to ask the pro's for advice first.
- Manual controls like Iso, Shutter etc is a 'must'
- what lens to buy?
- I'm not a professional but i like playing with settings

So is it the right choice to buy a dslr? Or is the quality of normal camcorders in the same price range much better for example? The most important thing i'm after is good image quality, and low-light conditions would be nice too.

So, because the 60d is not too long released i thought it would be pretty good (I don't like seeing new product launched next month), or is there a better alternative?

Thanks in advance!
Phil

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
Re: 60D Alternative?
on Mar 19, 2011 at 1:47:51 am

Philip Bloom updated his HDSLR comparison this week. All you need to know about the cameras compared here,
http://philipbloom.net/2011/03/17/whichdslr/

Which lens will become a case of which lenses. Choose lenses with a wide and constant aperture. Spending money on high quality lenses is a wise investment they will out live your camera body by many generations.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://philming.com.au
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Phil Huizen
on Mar 19, 2011 at 11:43:16 am

Thanks, I already read that. I decided to, although the image quality seems to be lower with them, buy a 'zoom lens' instead of a 'Prime lens'.

Something like 17-135mm or 15-85mm I don't know what a good lens is to primarily shoot video with.
Because it would like to have it the following:
- Fast lens like F2.8 or more? Or F3,5 or more
- Have a zoom
- Not to high sharpness because this will oversharpen the video I read?

Do you accidentally know a good lens?
Thanks,

PS:

Is a kit lens the lens you get with the camera standard? And what is exactly the problem with the not constant aperture while shooting video by them? I couldn't understand that part.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Mar 19, 2011 at 12:27:50 pm

[Phil Huizen] "Is a kit lens the lens you get with the camera standard? And what is exactly the problem with the not constant aperture while shooting video by them? I couldn't understand that part."

Yes, the kit lens is the standard lens, you get with the camera.

Problem with lenses, that don't have constant aperture is, that the lens has different maximum aperture on the wider end than on the zoomed-in end.

This means, you can't use the maximum aperture the lens provides, when zoomed-in.

So your picture might get darker, while zooming.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Mar 21, 2011 at 5:18:45 pm

The 60D is nice because of the flip LCD Screen. It comes in handy when shooting video at different positions. I prefer the 7D since it is a better quality case.

Lenses: I'd start first with a 24-70 2.4 L-Series Lense. The L-Series are the best glass canon makes and gives you a great look and color. The bundled lenses for the 60D is a lower quality glass and isn't as good in low light.

When you budget asks for it, 70-200 L-Series would be my next purchase, followed by Prime Lenses, 50, 80, etc.

This should cover your needs, but remember, it is a STILL camera that happens to shoot amazing video. Downside, no audio controls, auto focus is worthless when shooting video for moving subjects. It's very challenging to shoot moving subjects because you have to constantly adjust your focus.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Mar 23, 2011 at 1:42:21 pm

A 60D alternative? Well, the only other DSLRs that would be comparable to the 60D would be the Canon T3i, and the Panasonic GH2.

The T3i is relatively the same as the T2i, but it has a swivel screen and a neat "crop mode" where during video mode, it only uses the center of the sensor instead of the whole sensor, effectively doing a digital zoom, but without the nastey scaling.

The Panasonic GH2 is, in my opinion, the supreme camera of the three. It's nearly the same as the 60D, but the HDMI signal coming out is uncompressed Full HD video with no graphics. This will make external monitoring much better, especially if you are pulling focus with a thin DOF. There may be an option to also connect an external video recorder via the HDMI, and get better recorded video. However, it is so darn hard to find. High Demand, low productivity. If you find one, either you will pay high for it, or you are very lucky to find it.

However, IMO, the 60D is a very lovely camera, and you should feel confident if you get one.

Good Luck~
Ryan

Return to posts index

Phil Huizen
on Mar 27, 2011 at 6:17:35 pm

Thanks! I won't need the option for uncompressed HDMI output of the GH2 but I will definitely look into this camera more.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]