FORUMS: list search recent posts

7d Corrupt File Issues

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Preston
7d Corrupt File Issues
on Mar 16, 2011 at 6:11:16 am

Hey Cow, coming for some support, been looking on the internet and have not been able to find accurate help.

Brand new Canon 7d, shot with it for about 2 weeks when suddenly it crashed mid shoot. I was doing back to back 10-12 min runs on SanDisk Ultra 30mb/s 16 gig card. Camera froze, flashed "BUSY" had to drop battery out to reset, when I turned it back on last two runs were lost.

I quickly changed cards (still mid shoot) to a SanDisk Ultra 30mb/s 8gig, which had previously worked on 5d MkII for many shoots.
All footage on 2nd card came back corrupt when I transferred to MAC. It shows large file sizes, 2g, 3g files, but no preview and no playback in QT or VLC. Also, when card is put back in camera, it says "cannot playback movie", but shows a thumbnail.

I picked up Data Rescue 3 to see if I could recover files, it says "recovered" but now when I try to open that file QT says "An invalid public movie atom was found in the movie."

A very frustrating series of events.
I have read a few similar stories online regarding 7d issues with crashing/corrupting files, but all differ with different cards. some people say its SanDisk others say its Canon 7d.
Im accepting there is a problem somewhere, but any way to salvage the corrupted files as clearly some data exists.
Important files, but what shoot isnt.

Thanks in advance for any insight into this mess.

Return to posts index

Simon Hunt
Re: 7d Corrupt File Issues
on Mar 16, 2011 at 7:49:18 am

I have had the same issue with my 7D and a recently purchased Sandisk 16G Extreme 30mb/sec card. My older Sandisk 16G extreme IV has not given me any issues. Some experts I've spoken to say you must reformat your card each time it's downloaded and re-inserted. I want to test this theory. Most other reports I've seen on this issue are reporting use of the Sandisk 16G 30mb/sec card.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 16, 2011 at 2:07:28 pm

I attended a panel discussion on video for DSLR last night and that very subject came up. One of the panelists has had ongoing issues with 7D and Sandisk cards and Canon service repeatedly has said the camera is fine. Another panelist suggested it was the Sandisk media with that particular camera (7D) as he has had no issues with Lexar cards.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

Return to posts index

Steven Preston
on Mar 16, 2011 at 2:55:38 pm

Interesting, I will test with other cards.
As for reformatting every time I do that already, as after I dl a card, I clear/format in camera.

Any advice on recovering files? Like I said it appears data is there, just cant access it, Data Rescue 3 no help

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 16, 2011 at 3:46:15 pm

As it was explained last night, the data recovery software programs won't work because if the camera loses power while recording, the files are never closed, therefore are not recoverable by normal means, since the file header is not there. A company was mentioned but I didn't catch the name but they charge $79.95 PER FILE without sound, $99.95 with sound. They will go through the card and provide you with a thumbnail of each scene so you can decide if worth it or not.

I can try and find out the name of the company, thought it was "treasure" something but did a web search and came up empty

Jeff

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Mar 16, 2011 at 7:47:25 pm

The company that repairs MOV files is called aero quartet. The link is below:

http://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/repair.html

I had the same issue with a corrupt video file. They were able to save it and it saved my butt for sure.

Cody

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 16, 2011 at 7:50:45 pm

Thanks for the link Cody. I see on their site that the service is called "Treasured", so I'm surprised it didn't come up on my web search

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

Cody Walters
on Mar 16, 2011 at 8:16:08 pm

Yea, it's difficult to find. I ran across the application in a form when I search for "repairing mov file". The repair service uses Treasure to analyze the footage and send the report to service, then you download an application called Repair Kit to fix your file.

Cody Walters

Mac Pro 2.26GHz 8 Core Xeon
16 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Final Cut Studio 3
Panasonic HVX-200

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on Mar 17, 2011 at 3:40:26 am

I posted today on the same topic. Couldn't figure out the ordering of posts on this page.

This happened to me this weekend on a SanDisk 30MB/s card. Lost pretty much all the footage from the shoot. Good thing it was a B-camera.

I did the research on restoring the files. Treasured recognizes the media in the files, but I can't pay their prices, at least not on this project. I'm looking into using something like QuickTime Atom Viewer 2.0, HexEdit, etc.. to rewrite the headers/footers myself but I'm not betting on success.

My big question is - HOW DO I AVOID THIS IN THE FUTURE?

Is it the camera, am I doing anything wrong while shooting, is it the card that I need to trash? How do I prevent this?

Return to posts index

Adele Lambie
on Jul 27, 2012 at 12:14:18 am

I just recorded a couple of clips and all three came back "corrupt". They are labeled MV␀␀92Y_.MO6 which isn't a .MOV so that programme doesn't recognise it. Is there any other programmes that might be able to recover them?

Return to posts index

Jon Rose
on Jul 27, 2012 at 7:55:38 am

Hi Adele,

There is a company that can bring corrupt companies back to life, but this costs about £100 a clip, if I remember the name I'll post it.

Is the footage worth a lot to you or can you re-shoot it?

This problem was resolved in the latest firmware update 1.2.5 and can be found here:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_S...

I've had it for a year and its been perfect.. not even one corrupt file and we use our 7D's nearly every day for video.

Also there is a new update coming out in August, adds a lot of new features.. check it out here:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/06/canon-eos-7d-firmware-v2-official/

Hope this helps
Jon

Jon Rose
DP, Director, Film Maker and Motion Graphics Producer.

http://www.flycreative.co.uk

Return to posts index

Steven Preston
on Mar 19, 2011 at 5:59:35 pm

After speaking with a tech at a camera store I think the conclusion is slow, lower end cards are causing the problem with the powerful 7d system. As San Disk Ultra are "B Memory" as he described it, and the lower end of the San Disk Ultra, Extreme, & Extreme Pro series. (other cards he described as using "A memory")

With the 7ds Dual DIGIC 4 Processor, it writes much faster than the 5d, this may explain why cards the worked in 5d mkII crash when used in the 7d. For me, when the card "crashed" and read "busy" I pulled the battery to reset, this corrupted the card because the files were not finished writing, then when I put my new card there was still data in the buffer and the camera tried to write that to the new card, therefor corrupting that card as well.
This is how it was explained to me by a reputable camera store employee.

Long story short, im dropping San Disk 30mb and ponying up for the next level and getting off San Disk completely, Delkin Pro UDMA 16gig.
Hope this helps anyone else out there.

And as for the corrupted data, I think its gone for good.
Good luck.

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on Mar 20, 2011 at 1:38:02 pm

Steven, thanks!

Did the "reputable store employee" say that SanDisk made inferior cards to Delkin or some other manufacturers? What brands are more trustworthy?

Personally, on a shoot yesterday the 60MB/s Sandisk held up without a hickup. 30MB/s crashed. In hindsight, it was a major brain-freeze on my part to be using a 30MB/s rated card knowing that the video is recorded at 46 MB/s

Return to posts index

Allen Watts
on Apr 7, 2011 at 8:09:54 pm

Unfortunately, I've had experiences that appear to prove otherwise. Yesterday, shooting 7D on Sandisk Extreme Pro 90mb/s 16 gig card, I had 3 out of 5 MOV files corrupted.

This is the second shoot I've had this happen on (different cards). Last one was Sandisk Extreme, 60mb/s 16 gig card. I've read online that other brands are experiencing the same thing.

Obviously this is very disappointing. If anyone hears anything about how to avoid this in the future, please post it here.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jon Rose
on Apr 16, 2011 at 12:12:19 pm

I have a 7D and have been having the same as all you guys and wanted to come on here and tell you ITS OK.. THERE IS A LIGHT AT THE END OF THE CORRUPT TUNNEL!

I've had so much trouble with my Canon 7D always corrupting files for about 6 months now, It was getting a bit stupid, a couple of months back I did a corporate shoot and 3 of the video files came back corrupt. I tried everything to recover but nothing worked! I was ready to actually sell the 7D and get a 5D MkII

I purchased a couple of 32GB sandisk (60mb/s) cards as I had read somewhere it may be the cards that are corrupting the files. I then took it back out to shoot a music video, we spent 3 days on location and used the camera with care and attention not to change settings while the camera was filming, then.. you've guessed it, 2 files were corrupt on on card and 1 on the other, we had to cut a lot of the video and I was angry and frustrated!!!!

I spoke to Jessops (who i bought it off more than a year before) who were completely useless, I then spoke to the canon repair team where I sent my beloved 7D body up to London in a box :( They had it for a week and didn't seem to think it was important to even tell me they had received it.... anyway after a week I called them, the guy was in the middle of testing my camera, he said he would take apart and check the connections and ring me back.
He rang back later that day and I was told that they had spoken to Canon headoffice and they were aware of this problem... WOOOO RESULT!!! and that there is a new 7D update coming out on Monday 18th April!!!

So hold in there guys, the futures bright!!

Jon

Jon Rose

Return to posts index

Jon Rose
on Apr 21, 2011 at 10:12:11 am

Hey Guys,

Good news, Canon 7D Fimeware 1.2.5 is here with the following fixes:

Firmware Version 1.2.5 incorporates the following improvements and fixes.

Fixed a rare phenomenon in which there were rare cases where movie files taken could not be opened when repeatedly shooting movies with specific CF cards.
Fixed a rare phenomenon in which there were cases where �Err 02� appeared when repeatedly shooting still images with specific CF cards.
Fixed a phenomenon that occurred when using high-capacity (32 GB or greater) CF cards: If either a CF card with only a little available space remaining or the battery was removed and then reinserted into the camera, and then the user attempted to start shooting movies immediately, shooting would stop.
Improved the writing/reading speeds when using UDMA 7-compatible CF cards.
Fixed a phenomenon that occurred when custom function C.Fn 4-1 was set to assign IS start to the AF stop button on the lens: When used with lenses that do not have an AF stop button, the IS function would not work.
Corrected some mistakes in the menu screens displayed in Arabic and Portuguese. (This applies to models in overseas markets. The models for the Japanese market do not display those languages.)

Jon

Jon Rose

Return to posts index

James Riley
on May 15, 2011 at 5:40:25 pm

I get the same problem with SanDIsk Extreme Pro 90MB/s and 60 MB/s cards. They tend to come out of the camera feeling "hot" or at least "warm." The problem seems to get worse the longer the camera is powered up. We use it for short films, but I can't imagine what a wedding videographer would do with, say, 30-60 minute take.

Return to posts index

Anne LaBarbera
on Jan 3, 2013 at 9:00:10 pm

I think this issue must have been resolved by now but I just want to add that I shoot on 16G RAW CF cards and have done so since Oct 2009 when I bought my 7D. I have not had this issue nor have I had other issues I have heard about from numerous other 7D shooters many of whom have told me that they regularly have to replace their cards. I have had the same two cards for over three years and had no problems. Plus the card reader, also made by RAW once got scooped up in my laundry and went through the whole cycle. I assumed it was ruined but tried it and it worked! That was at least two years ago and I still use it. I payed about $300USD for the two cards and the card reader at the time and I know people told me I had paid too much but all of these people have had lost files and cards that had to be replaced and I just keep shooting on mine. I think it is well worth it when your career is at stake to invest in properly priced media of the right quality. Reshoots will cost far more than a good set of cards. (I don't recommend anyone put a card reader through the wash, as good a product as it is I still think I got super lucky with that one!)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]