FORUMS: list search recent posts

My doubts about Nikon D7000

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick 2746
My doubts about Nikon D7000
on Mar 10, 2011 at 10:18:53 pm

As a Nikon user, I nearly bought D7000 this week as it allows 20min of movie shooting time at 1080p. However, looking through various threads on this forum a few things concern me about this camera:

1. It will shoot at 24fps (I use PAL) and I have read else where that converting from 24 to 25p can cause some loss in quality.
2. The brightness levels of LCD is not the same at the time of recording and playback.
3. You can't change the lens aperture while shooting unless you are working with a manual lens.
4. I have not seen many good movies, except some test clips, on vimeo made with D7000. I know it is very capable of shooting stills at high ISOs, which drew me to it initially.

What has been the experience of other D7000 users?

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: My doubts about Nikon D7000
on Mar 10, 2011 at 10:43:22 pm

I haven't use a D7000, but... with my Panasonic GH2 the recording length is only limited by the size of my memory card. The LCD does shift a bit when going into recording, but with a histogram that stays on screen all the time, it's not a big issue.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

John Woodland
on Mar 11, 2011 at 3:53:20 pm

I've been using the D7000 for a few weeks now. I have been fairly pleased with it. Not sure about the conversion to 25p. I have mainly been shooting 1080p24 and converting to Apple Pro res and editing in FCP. I would think you could then go to 25p without any concerns, but I haven't tried it.

I never trust the lcd anyway. I would love to have the historgram up in live view and hope they do a firmware update and give us that option. For now, I shoot manual and before going into live view I set the exposure looking thru the viewfinder. Once in live view unless the scene changers dramatically it does well. You can hit play after and see the histogram to confirm if your exposure is good. Not great, but it works.

Confirm the aperture limitation. I have manual lenses so it again doesn't bother me. I'm even thinking of getting my lenses modified so there is no aperture "steps" between fstops.

My biggest problem has been with moire. All the dslr's have it, some worse than others. Just have to work around it.

If you want to see some good videos shot with the D7000 go to the D7000 group on Vimeo. There are a couple that I have done as I'm learning the camera.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Mark

Return to posts index

Nick 2746
on Mar 14, 2011 at 9:21:47 am

Thanks John. I decided against it in the end as there is so little work done with it on vimo. Many people have posted 'tests', only two clips that were good. Cropped sensor also have problems when it comes to a decent wide angle lens for it. So, I decided to get a Canon 5D body. I already have some lenses for it, which I have been using with Canon 7D.

Thanks for replying to my post.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]