FORUMS: list search recent posts

To delete or not to delete? Storage Problem!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Waldron
To delete or not to delete? Storage Problem!
on Mar 9, 2011 at 10:32:37 pm

Hello folks,

A very simple and quick question.

After conversion to an editable codec, Apple ProRes 422 for example, do you/should you delete the original?

I was once told NEVER to delete an original file and have stuck to this ever since. But now storage is becoming a huge problem.

Cheers

Sam

Sam Waldron

Final Cut Pro 6.0.6
imac 4gb 1tb

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: To delete or not to delete? Storage Problem!
on Mar 10, 2011 at 3:28:50 am

[Sam Waldron] "After conversion to an editable codec, Apple ProRes 422 for example, do you/should you delete the original?"
Sam,
The original file is always the best to keep.
They are small, they have all the original picture, and you can convert them to Prores whenever you want to edit again.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 10, 2011 at 4:17:14 am

[Sam Waldron] "I was once told NEVER to delete an original file and have stuck to this ever since. But now storage is becoming a huge problem."

Hard drives are dirt cheap --buy another one!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Sam Waldron
on Mar 10, 2011 at 8:17:47 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your views.

Delete or not to Delete? Not!

Take care

S

Sam Waldron

Final Cut Pro 6.0.6
imac 4gb 1tb

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Mar 11, 2011 at 6:58:50 pm

Storage is never a "problem" it is an expected part of the process. Budget a drive purchase for each major project and get a drive dock to dump data off your raid as needed.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 13, 2011 at 5:05:02 pm

Malcom -

Also start thinking about the whole hard drives/raid vs. tape backup issues. I am currently going through the same quandry you are, and have not yet decided upon which route to go.

The only thing I do know is that all hard drives die - some die 5 days after you buy them - some die 5 years after you buy them, and you never know which it will be. So find the most secure (in terms of catastrophic failure) technology you can find.

If you go the RAID route, my feeling is that you have to find a way to charge your clients for long-term storage - they can't expect you to have a project on your working drives forever, unless of course, you charge a fee (whether it's built in to your production budgets, or is a monthly/yearly storage fee). I have a client who is doing a project a month with me, and I have no problem keeping the projects on my active drives, but I'm beginning to run out of room (who would have thought a terrabyte would not be enough), and have to make some decisions myself.

I'm kind of thinking out loud here, and I hope my musings are giving you some sort of direction, even if it's to read more, and look further. I don't have the answer for myself yet. I have read a fair amount about cheap internal hard drives and docks, but that's also putting your data on something which could, and ultimately, will, fail. It's a cheap way to do it, and I've read that some of the big Hollywood distributors do just that, but have someone on staff who spins the drives up on a weekly basis, so as not to let the bearing lubrication dry out or get off-kilter (I have read that this too can be a problem).

Enough said. Good luck, and if I find the aha moment for myself, I'll post it here.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Mar 14, 2011 at 12:34:38 am

I looked at digital tape,media is cheap per TB, ut the drives are very expensive $1500+ I have used tape since 1" SMPTE-C, never going back!

As far as drives, I back up in pairs to a USB-3 removable dock. At the moment I have a couple of pairs of 1TB drives and use them to dump data off the raid, or restore if needed. This is cost effective for my needs, a larger facility may do better with a large tape back up system and network the drive so it can be shared over multiple workstations.

I only have one edit suite so that is too expensive for me. Project sizes can be reduced by linking camera original to your edit files and dumping the intermediaries, assuming this is your work-flow. I have not needed to do this yet, but it would free up a lot of drive space.

In any event, the pair of drives (1tb= $150`200) goes on the estimate when bidding the job, and another drive as well if that is how I'm delivering to the client!

M

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Mar 16, 2011 at 3:20:21 pm

Never Delete your orginal. This is your MASTER. That's just like throwing away the tape, when you used tape cameras. I have two copies of the master on two separate drives.

You can buy a hard drive dock and use internal drives. Or burn files to a BluRay disc.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite