FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR or not DSLR?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andree Franks
DSLR or not DSLR?
on Mar 6, 2011 at 6:52:37 pm

Here is my situation, I am in for a new camera rig the question is...
should it be a Canon DSLR 5D Mark II or the Panasonic AE AF-100? Cash can be a issue since I am on a budget and still need to through in a Steadicam.
Anyways at the moment I have a Canon XL h1s (AJA Ki Pro) and a Canon T2I with two 24-105 and 70-200 Lens. Love the 24-105! :)
I do broadcast work (allot of Chroma), Inde film and music videos.
The drawback that I see at the moment is... for the DSLR I would have to get all kinda extras for Audio, Rig, Viewfinder and etc.. for the AF-100 I can't use the Canon Lenses that I already have (seems there is no good adapter out there) and still need to get some extras like Batteries and a Lens.

I would like to use the camera for Steadicam (shutter roll issues?) and as like everybody else the DOF baby! :)
Oh don't forget about the Chroma... well I still can use the noisy XL H1s for studio and tripod shots.

Any help and tips to make decision easier would rock!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: DSLR or not DSLR?
on Mar 7, 2011 at 3:46:40 am

Not sure what it is you're asking here. There's a massive difference in price and quality between the two cameras you mention. If you can afford the AF100, by all means get it. Blows away any current DSLR in terms of video ergonomics while easily matching or bettering image quality as well. You get what you pay for.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Mar 8, 2011 at 12:27:25 pm

I second Noah.
Now you have the best of both worlds on a single camera.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Andree Franks
on Mar 9, 2011 at 2:43:30 pm

Interesting is I did not get a email notification on your reply Noah...

Anyways, thanks for your input guys (that is why I like coming back to the Cow!) I was thinking of the same.
But (bad but not so bad I guess) I think I will stick to the noise XLh1s for now and pimp it out.

At the moment I just can't really justify why I want to replace a 6 Months old camera. Lets wait out and see what RED will deliver. :)

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Mar 16, 2011 at 3:36:41 pm

Your first camera shouldn't be a DSLR for the reasons you mentioned. Either the Panasonic or the Sony EX-1 would work.

You can get a Canon 60 D if you want to add the DSLR to your list of cameras.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite