FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR footages for LED billboards

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde villegas
DSLR footages for LED billboards
on Mar 6, 2011 at 7:40:06 am

Are footages from HDSLRs good for LED billboards (large outdoor tv with LED lights as screen)? I'm wondering if the moire (and other problems) will be gone or will be exaggerated when played on these large LED screens.

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: DSLR footages for LED billboards
on Mar 6, 2011 at 11:37:39 pm

Do you have a specific one in mind? Generally speaking, you will be customizing final output to suit the board and whomever you are doing the job for or with should have those specs.

For example, I did a search for "led billboard specs" and this is the second link:

http://www.oosdigital.com/digital-led-static-billboard-specifications.html

I think any footage can be used - a higher quality original will always give you a better final output. If you're comfortable using DSLR video and can reliably make good footage on that technology, you will make a good final output, but no one specific technology is going to automatically make your output on an LED billboard better. Only YOU can do that and the secret is in the same principles of making a good video on any media. :)

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 7, 2011 at 3:48:22 am

Most of those LED displays have incredibly low resolution and flattened gamma anyways. Moire would be the least of your concerns in terms of image quality. I think you'd be fine with any DSLR.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 7, 2011 at 6:40:15 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Most of those LED displays have incredibly low resolution and flattened gamma anyways. Moire would be the least of your concerns in terms of image quality. I think you'd be fine with any DSLR."

I agree. I've done a ton of stuff for LED and my bigger worry is what their trashy Extron equipment is going to do to the picture before it even reaches the screen.

Keep in mind the resolution of the LED when creating graphics/titles. Something created for broadcast TV won't necessarily translate well. In my case, I know the local arena has LED screens that are 1/4 SD resolution, so when I'm editing, in FCP or After Effects, I will actually view my work at 1/4 resolution to make sure that everything is readable.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Mar 7, 2011 at 11:30:30 pm

That is exactly what I was thinking. If LED billboards have low resolution, then the moire might not be visible... actually even the fine detail in the video that causes moire might also be not be visible.

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:01:57 pm

I'm shooting with the GH2 and moire isn't even an issue 99% of the time.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]