FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 550D T2i AV socket DIY project

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
Canon 550D T2i AV socket DIY project
on Mar 3, 2011 at 4:50:30 pm

Hi,

I am using the Magic Lantern software on my 550D so I can monitor audio out of the AV socket. I am using the provided cable with a 2xPhono female to stereo 3.5mm socket adapter (took some finding but cost next to nothing when I found it.

Obviously thin is far from ideal, what I really want to do is make a short DIY cable with the Canon USB plug on one end and a stereo 3.5mm socket on the other. The obvious thing to do is buy a replacement cable (not cheap at around £20) and butcher it.

I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas? It it actually a standard mini USB plug? does anyone know the wiring?

Regards,
Ben

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
Re: Canon 550D T2i AV socket DIY project
on Mar 4, 2011 at 6:32:58 pm

Hi Ben;

The adapters are made, http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=mini+usb+to+3... the problem I see is the common right-angle most of these adapters have when using the mic plug and the HDMI monitor out; the physical fit. At the price though, I'm going to try it since I have the same camera and ML loaded (bless Saint Tramm). Luck to us both...ML

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Mar 4, 2011 at 7:13:07 pm

Thanks Michael,

Will see where I can get one of these in the UK, you sure they are the correct adapter.

The other thing is when I plug in the AV mini USB plug the screen goes blank, I guess it thinks I am using an external monitor so turns off LCD.

Do you know how I can stop this?

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Filmmaker
http://www.funkytwig.com

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Mar 4, 2011 at 11:04:00 pm

Ben,

No specs given, but high probability it's the standard smaller end of a common USB cable (OEM Canon cable works on my portable hard drive). That loss of LCD only happens on my camera when I plug the big end into my computer(launching EOS utility), not when I fit the cable to camera, so maybe with a passive device (like the adapter/headphones) it won't happen. Not a very useful trade at that point, as many ML features don't appear in external monitors. Anyone else test this audio jack while recording?

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Mar 7, 2011 at 9:20:36 pm

Ben, et al;

Just shot all weekend with my cheap Lilliput 7" monitor, and the ML menu was visible on it the whole time. Odd though: With camera on(live-view/movie mode), connecting an HDMI cable kills the LCD screen; but when I turn on the power to the monitor, it comes back. Turning on the monitor, of course, kills the LCD again; but since I can see the ML menu on either, I at least don't have to toggle between them (as I imagined). Hope Tramm and company can expand this menu to other cameras, it's a huge leap for the lowly T2i...ML

Return to posts index

Luca comolli
on Mar 9, 2011 at 3:20:28 am

hello,
beware the Canon 550 AV connector is NOT a usb connector, it looks like but usb connector will not fit.
I'm also look for a cheap replacement cable

Return to posts index

Luca comolli
on Mar 9, 2011 at 7:58:41 am

hello,
beware the Canon 550 AV connector is NOT a usb connector, it looks like but usb connector will fit but it wil not work.

The Canon plug have 6 contacts in the lower part of the connector , the mini USB plug have 5 contacts in the upper part of the connector.

The Canon 550d video cable code is : AVC-DC400ST

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Mar 9, 2011 at 7:25:32 pm

Hello Luca,

I can't find my original Canon OEM cable (for use with a computer), but looking at my 550D in the "AV out" port (@6x magnification), I only count 5 pins in the camera connection. There are proprietary USB 2.0 supporting connections, but I've just grabbed whatever USB cable is handy (from my card reader, ext. hard drive, etc.), and it's always worked. Can't find anything 6pin on Google but firewire, but I'm not a hardware expert. Ordered the Motorola Razor adapter to try (<5$). Will test and reply. Hope we find our solutions...ML

Return to posts index

Luca comolli
on Mar 10, 2011 at 4:10:53 pm

Hi Michael,
Canon 550D have use one usb shape connector for two tasks:
- USB ---> upper part of the connector, 5 pins
- AV out ---> lower part of the connector, 6 pins

Any mini USB cable will work with the Canon 550D for USB task but there is no way that the same cable will allow AV out .

On Ebay you can buy in China a non original cable for 10 USD , look at item 260723669452

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]