FORUMS: list search recent posts

Nikon D7000 exposure darker than screen

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david braman
Nikon D7000 exposure darker than screen
on Feb 28, 2011 at 4:02:14 pm

Just got a 7000 and have found that the exposure that I see in the screen (video or still) turns out to be about 1 stop brighter than what is actually recorded. Everything looks great on the screen, then when I check play back, its darker...as is the footage when I pull it in for edit. Anyone else having this problem?

Also, while I'm at it, does this camera have serious moray problems? I feel like I'm back in the 80's.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: Nikon D7000 exposure darker than screen
on Feb 28, 2011 at 8:35:39 pm

You want to use the histogram to judge exposure rather than the relative brightness of the screen.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Andrew Roger
on Feb 28, 2011 at 9:50:22 pm

There should be a display brightness setting on the camera but it seems you might be saying that playback through the camera is darker than a few seconds before when you were shooting. Is that what is happening?

Return to posts index

david braman
on Feb 28, 2011 at 9:57:15 pm

What I see on the screen before, and while I'm shooting is significantly brighter than what is actually being recorded. If I play it back immediately on the screen, its darker. I tried darkening the display brightness, but that darkens the playback image as well...so nothing really is accomplished.

Return to posts index

John Woodland
on Mar 4, 2011 at 7:58:21 pm

I have the D7000 and depending on the scene I will usually shoot a still image first and check the histogram. Adjust exposure and then record the movie. You also have the option of reviewing the movie if you hit play after you stop recording. It shows you at least a still image of the histogram at the start of the recording.

As you can tell you can't trust the displays brightness. I just wish the camera allowed you to have the histogram up while recording a movie. Maybe a firmware upgrade?

Mark

Return to posts index

david braman
on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:36:43 pm

Yea, that's kind of what I've been doing. A real pain...especially when you factor in not being able to adjust aperture in live view either. Definitely not a "Run 'n Gun" camera.

Return to posts index

Jack Rusak
on Apr 12, 2011 at 10:19:34 pm

To me the LCD is just like the EVF on my video cameras, simply there for framing etc.
But I'm not sure that means the camera can't do run and gun. After all, what did folks do before they even had LCD'S?

Once you get the proper exposure for a given condition, it should remain pretty constant.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]