FORUMS: list search recent posts

native 24fps to 30fps?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Tannenbaum
native 24fps to 30fps?
on Feb 25, 2011 at 1:24:41 pm

I shoot with a D7000, native 1920x1080p @ 23.98fps.

If I export from FCP @ 29.97fps, when I die, will I go to heaven or the other place where all my friends will be anyway?

Just trying to get the best bang for my measly bucks when uploading for stock footage.

Thanks very much. Ken

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: native 24fps to 30fps?
on Feb 25, 2011 at 3:12:33 pm

Hi Ken,
I would keep the original frame rate.
Going p30 can be easily done if needed.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 25, 2011 at 3:19:09 pm

I ask for monetary reasons....there appear to be far more 30's in the world of stock footage than 24fps. I have no other reason.
Having said that, although I know how to do it, I don't want to degrade the content, which is why I ask...will it degrade?

Thanks.

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 25, 2011 at 5:34:25 pm

If you are selling your footage then I think it doesn't matter and you are best off selling the footage in its native codec. I purchase stock footage from different places and I've never looked at what the frame rate is. Just my opinion.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 25, 2011 at 8:07:53 pm

[Ken Tannenbaum] ".there appear to be far more 30's in the world of stock footage than 24fps."

Um, so why then do you not shoot 30p?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 25, 2011 at 8:30:09 pm

It's a matter of money. First of all, my income is derived from still shooting with Nikons so I have quite a few lenses. When the D7000 came out at a reasonable $1200, I figured despite my wife's protestations, I'd give video a shot...that was a scant month ago. I like the camera well enough and MAY have made a mistake about it not shooting 30fps...(it can at a smaller size). So that's where I am for the time being. Also, many people have suggested that 24fps is fine for what I'm doing. All that said, I HAVE NOT gotten a clear answer as to how much degradation happens if you res-up the file from 24fpds to 30fps???
If that's not a probably I may do that until I'm richer AND more famous OR stay with the 24fps...

Thanks very much. Ken

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 25, 2011 at 8:53:56 pm

In a nutshell when you go from 24 to 30 you are adding 6 fames to every second. Compressor does a good job with that and I imagine most people can't tell the difference when it is done right. Personally, I think this is much to do about nothing and 24 is a great frame rate. I don't think people buy footage based on the frame rate but on the content of the footage. Is it original? Can I get a very similar clip somewhere else? Do we really need yet another cloud only time-lapse shot? I'm in the USA and I've purchased PAL clips because the only stock footage I could find of what I need was in PAL. Content is king.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 25, 2011 at 9:05:34 pm

Funny, I thought knowledge is king. Okay, I do get your point! Also, as a veteran of the advertising wars, I know that a pinhole camera in the right hands can be an award winner. Well, maybe not in this century.
Anyway, thanks for the insight. Take care...

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 27, 2011 at 2:32:24 am

Hi Ken,
What Stephen points out is technically very relevant: You get better picture going 24 > 30 than going 30 > 24. Discharging 6 frames from the 30p will mke the picture look choppy. Adding 6 frames to the 24 won't change the picture cadence.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]