FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Exporting question

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Tannenbaum
FCP Exporting question
on Feb 23, 2011 at 11:28:17 pm

I've got several H.264 clips, converted to ProRes422 and edited in FCP6. I exported using FCP's QT Movie function and selected "Offline RT HD (PhotoJPEG) 23.98"...I did that because my camera shoots 23.98fps and the stock footage agency I deal with likes PhotoJPEG.

I'm new to this. I ended up with a small FCP Movie File, not a QT movie.

Obviously, I'm a dangerous man at the moment. Talk me down! Thanks.

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
Re: FCP Exporting question
on Feb 24, 2011 at 2:00:29 am

Unless you check the box "Make Movie Self-Contained", you'll end up with a reference file.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Feb 24, 2011 at 2:14:55 am

Yes, and a reference file is fine for sending to compressor and such but it isn't actually a QT movie. The reference file just contains pointers to your original footage, which all by itself is relatively useless.

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 24, 2011 at 12:30:16 pm

Thanks gentlemen...sorry for possible redundancy here:

I thought I did select "self contained", but more important, here's the workflow...kindly advise. It seems to get me where I need to be, a PhotoJPEG file for stock footage.

1. H.264 from camera
2. MpegStreamclip conversion to ProRes422
3. FCP edit
4. Export to QT Movie @ "current settings" - yields FCP Movie File
5. back to MpegStremclip for conversion to PhotoJpeg @ 95% - yields QT Movie.

ON ANOTHER NOTE, I have great familiarity with post-shoot camera data in the stills world...IPTC, EXIF, camera speed, etc. I can't find, if it exists, similar information for video from the D7000. I'm trying to see what shutter speed I used for a particular clip. Thanks.

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Feb 24, 2011 at 1:53:33 pm

Export QT "current settings" with "make movie self-contained" checked should result in "real" QT movie. If I'm not mistaken, a reference movie is just fine for running through MpegStreamclip though (plus it's smaller and is much faster to create).

I'm not too familiar with this, but is there a .thm file that is associated with the original footage of the clip in question? If so, it may contain some meta data that you want. Preview should be able to open it, or change the extension to .jpeg and view.

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Feb 24, 2011 at 2:06:07 pm

Thanks for trying. There's no .thm file....just .mov from the D7000.

Changing to .jpg is not recognized by preview or photoshop either.

It's okay...my issue has entirely to do with the first sequence I shot with the camera...at a time when I knew JUST enough to do potential damage a few weeks ago. In this case, I didn't understand the "need" to restrict the shutter speed to 1/50 and may have reduced to speed substantially.
The footage is worthwhile however. I just wanted to know if there's a was to backtrack that information, as is so easy with stills.

Again, thanks.

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Richard Walton
on Mar 1, 2011 at 2:06:12 pm

Ken:

One other "warning" about QT ref. files. You may inadvertently or purposefully leave this is a
folder or on your desktop and return to it at some later date without realizing what it is (and
is NOT). This can be a real problem if you then incorporate it into an editing situation.
My advice is to trash these ref. files ASAP.

Dick Walton
Natural History Services
http://www.rkwalton.com

Return to posts index

Ken Tannenbaum
on Mar 1, 2011 at 2:15:10 pm

THAT is a good piece of advice...thanks.

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]