FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live stream with multiple DSLR cameras?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Rollins
Live stream with multiple DSLR cameras?
on Feb 23, 2011 at 5:34:35 am

Howdy! I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I just got a request from someone to hire me to shoot their wedding. They saw my Cinema-style and like the look, I am a DSLR shooter. The kicker is that they want to combine my style with a live stream! Is that even possible with these cameras? I would have 2 shooters, and if we stick to our normal style one is on a Steadicam the other on sticks. I know we would need a 3rd person to handle the switchers and all that.

My MAIN question is... am I wasting my time researching how to do this or should I just say no? I don't want to compromise my style for the sake of the stream.. if that is the case she can just hire someone who knows what they are doing :)

I hope I am making sense. I will take any advice available.... even if it is "dude, your crazy" I am totally cool with that.

Cheers,
Dan Rollins - LiveWireFilms.com
HDSLR Videographer (T2i & 7D shooter) - FCP 7.0.3 (Studio 3) - 27" iMac 2.8 Quad Core i7 4GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 4850

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Live stream with multiple DSLR cameras?
on Feb 23, 2011 at 5:39:02 am

There is no way to get a video stream from those cameras and still see what you are doing. HDMI out shuts off the LCD...sends the LCD signal down the HDMI connection. So you'll be blind. Not only that, but the image isn't a clean one...it is the LCD display. Turn off all the numbers, and you still see the grey bars.

Sorry...these don't work just like video cameras for all things.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dan Rollins
on Feb 23, 2011 at 5:55:41 am

Thanks Shane. I kinda figured it would be a hard thing to do, part of me is relieved! If it was possible I would think it would be a headache.. but maybe a fun challenge.

Cheers,
HDSLR Videographer (T2i & 7D shooter) - FCP 7.0.3 (Studio 3) - 27" iMac 2.8 Quad Core i7 4GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 4850

Return to posts index

Dan Rollins
on Feb 23, 2011 at 6:28:24 am

I have another thought. I suppose if I was tethered to a computer I could broadcast the footage. I was thinking I could offer them the option that we do the wedding like we normally would, then we would have another person dedicated to have a DSLR in a location close to the action... maybe with a good zoom lens and plugged into a Macbook. We could set-up up like this tutorial suggest, which I have actually done with Skype and it worked great: http://blog.planet5d.com/2010/06/using-a-canon-hdslr-5d-mark-ii-as-a-webcam...

Assuming I would be able to do that and use ustream.com to broadcast it.

Then they would get a great final product PLUS the live stream of the ceremony.

Any thoughts? Anyone done that?

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 23, 2011 at 4:40:07 pm

Hi Dan,
You are spinning around the DSLRs and there is where the problem is.
What you want to do is feasible with any small video camera with HDMI.
With a PANA, CANON or even JVC you get a rocking picture and a 8/10b Uncompressed stream out of the HDMI.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Dan Rollins
on Feb 23, 2011 at 4:45:00 pm

Thanks Rafael. With my last comment I wouldn't be moving around, I would have someone tethered to a computer in one place and they would do pans to follow the action and maybe some zooms. If I can get the technology in that tutorial to work I would think it should work?

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Feb 23, 2011 at 6:28:23 pm

Dan

I would advise you against it. This seems like a very long shot to me. You will unnecessarily be dividing your attention from what you do best. Even though you plan to have a person dedicated for this task, it will still play at the back of your mind & God forbid you have any last minute hiccups your shoot will be a total mess.

I myself do weddings and i like to keep my shoots straight & simple, atleast as far as technical experimenting is concerned. I had some bad experiences in the past.

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

Dan Rollins
on Feb 23, 2011 at 6:37:59 pm

Thanks for the warning. It would really all come down to finding the right person to do that AND of course tons of testing before hand.. the wedding would be summer 2012 so I would have time to test it out. I am on the same page as you Sohrab and I wouldn't want to crimp my style trying something I may never do again. But if the solution turns up to be a simple one, I find the right person to operate it and my client understands the level of quality will not be all that... I may consider it. I am going to email the client and tell her that she may want to hire a webcasting company if she wants it done right.. but if she is OK with a MacGuyver job she can give me some time to do some testing :)
Regardless I am going to try to get her to hire us for the actual wedding video.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Feb 24, 2011 at 2:54:56 am

[Dan Rollins] "Thanks Rafael. With my last comment I wouldn't be moving around, I would have someone tethered to a computer in one place and they would do pans to follow the action and maybe some zooms. If I can get the technology in that tutorial to work I would think it should work?"
Dan,
Sorry I've misused the term "spinning".
I meant that you were thinking only around the DSLR, while that may be easier to achieve with a camcorder.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Feb 28, 2011 at 7:17:54 pm

Don't use the DSLR for streaming. Get a dedicated video camera that you can zoom with and offer the one camera option.

If she wants a multicamera shoot streamed, you'll need to rent video cameras and charge her a bunch of cash for the headache.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Dan Rollins
on Feb 28, 2011 at 7:51:49 pm

I emailed the gal a week ago and was straight up with her.. I said if she wanted a awesome final HD video of her day we can do that and if she wanted a cut and dry Skype-like stream of the ceremony with one stationary camera we could also do that... but I told her that if the stream was important to her she will want to research a webcasting company to do it right. No response yet. I have no desire to get any new gear for live streams, so I will probably let this go.. UNLESS she wants to pay a little extra for a MacGuyver stream :)

Thanks Brent

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Bruno Rotermund
on Jun 25, 2012 at 2:41:57 pm

I`m curious, how did it end this story? :) I have interest too in live streams with dslr.

Return to posts index

john orourke
on Sep 25, 2011 at 8:10:49 pm

Do it. you could have an HDMI splitter to an external monitor. Im considering doing the same thing as you except a football game and there'd be 5 cameras. Yeah its probably not gonna work perfectly but it will be very interesting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]