FORUMS: list search recent posts

New dslr video user - nikon d7000 or canon t2i? Im only breaking free from minidv now!!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Kennedy
New dslr video user - nikon d7000 or canon t2i? Im only breaking free from minidv now!!
on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:03:37 pm

Hello to all!

Im a new member - although I have been following for years this is my first post!

Im About to make the leap to DSLR Video from a long time running on Mini-dv pd170/vx2100e & the Z1, And in dire need of opinion!

In stills IM a nikon man full stop dabbled a bit with canon but never really took to it,
I have been thinkin about getting the new nikon d7000 for its video, because I have a great selection of manual prime and auto lenses

(nikkor ed 17-55 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 28mm 2.8, 85mm f2, 135 f2.8 and a
few cheaper zoom lenses)

but my main gripes are no 60fps and if I try to cut in its 24p with my 25p (pal) mini-dv footage at anty stage it might not work??
so been thinking< Id get a Canon T2i and use an nikkor ai to eos adaptor and go with that, then down the line go for a 7d or when nikon get their video act together get their next new one.

SO The question really is : Nikon D7000 Vs T2I is it worth the swap over? also the auto audio levels is a big issue, is the 60fps really worth the swap over? I like using slow mo even on the z1 so pretty essential I suppose.

Any thought would be great folks!! Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: New dslr video user - nikon d7000 or canon t2i? Im only breaking free from minidv now!!
on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:12:42 pm

You're misrading specs

It shoots 24, 25, and 30 in 1080p

the 60 is at 720p (just like Canon).

I have both a 7D and D7000... both good cameras. I own more Nikon glass and like the longer record times of Nikon

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Joe Kennedy
Re: New dslr video user - nikon d7000 or canon t2i? Im only breaking free from minidv now!!
on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:27:35 pm

hi! thanks for reply!
All I can see on nikon specs are (in PAL)

[PAL] · 1,920 × 1,080 (24p); 24 (23.976) fps · 1,280 × 720 (25p); 25 fps · 1,280 × 720 (24p); 24 (23.976) fps · 640 × 424 (25p); 25 fps

so can only shoot in 25 fps in 720p would that be right?

Thats great you have both cameras, I have good nikon glass but really want to be able to shoot at 6ofps for the slow motion, that being the case, if you were in my shoes would you go with the nikon with a little more audio control and the auto focus or the t2i for the slow mo? quality of video seems pretty similar no?

Thanks again
Joe

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:37:48 pm

Looks like I slightly misspoke.

But shooting 24P for 1080 is pretty much a universal master. Very easy to convert to 25 or 29.97 in post

If you have more Nikon glass.. stick Nikon. Its the glass that matters most

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Joe Kennedy
on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:45:00 pm

Thats what my intial thinking was- but then I'm toying with the idea of using a eos adapter onto my nikon glass then using the 550d or the 7d for the function primarily of the ability to shot at 60fps for smooth slow mo, what do you think?

thanks again!

JOe

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Feb 22, 2011 at 4:54:41 pm

Adapters ONLY work on old glass that has MANUAL controls for F-stop (i.e. a physical ring).

Modern lenses won't work as the controls require dials on camera.

Return to posts index

david braman
on Mar 8, 2011 at 5:52:54 pm

I've worked with both the Canon T2i and the Nikon 7000 and I'll put my chips down on Canon...easily. Besides no 1080 30p (I don't buy the 24p cool-aid) you can't change the aperture on the Nikon in movie mode (you have to switch over to the eye piece). Plus the view screen is almost a full stop darker than what is actually recorded. I'm not sure what Nikon's thinking is on not allowing you to adjust aperture in Live/Movie mode, but it really makes life in the field a very cumbersome outing.

Return to posts index

nick vincent
on Apr 16, 2011 at 7:02:18 pm

Would you recommend using this canon T2I for shooting event photography plays, music performances? How long could the takes be in HD, and will they take external mics?
thanks, nick

nick vincent

Return to posts index

david braman
on Apr 18, 2011 at 3:19:38 pm

In my experience, all the DSLRs have some limitations. Most of these have work arounds that require extra equipment and/or modifications. The biggest revolve around the view screen. It's fine for compositional purposes, but for accurate focusing, you're going to need at least an eye piece extender/magnifier. Audio is also a problem. You can plug an external mic into most of them, but you have no control...it's all auto gain. There is a hack for the T21 that will allow you to defeat the auto gain (even display meters). But otherwise, if audio is important, you're into running double system sound (PluralEyes is a nice application that will make easy work of syncing up in the edit)

I've come to the conclusion that the whole DSLR thing is nice, but it's no magic bullet. If you're really serious about your production, you're going to have to spend more money (not to mention time in location setup). But the T2i does take nice video. You do have the 12 minute recording limit, which might be a problem for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]