FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJa lhe/Adobe premiere/dslr

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Arvidsson
AJa lhe/Adobe premiere/dslr
on Feb 22, 2011 at 8:52:54 am

Hi is it possible to edit dslr footage and output with aja lhe without doing any rendering? If I choose an aja preset in premiere I get the picture but have to render.
If I pick the dslr 1920x1080 preset i dont have to render but I donĀ“t get the picture from the aja card. I tried to change settings with no luck (it grayed out).

How do you approach working with aja card and premiere cs5? There is no cuda card in the macpro workstation.

I have posted this in the Aja kona thread also, with little answers. Maby someone is working with aja and dslr in this forum.

/Joel

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: AJa lhe/Adobe premiere/dslr
on Feb 22, 2011 at 1:18:51 pm

Before outputting to tape via AJA you must render

You can export via MEdia Encoder without rendering

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Feb 22, 2011 at 5:01:53 pm

Ok, to make it more clear. You can't bring in dslr footage to premiere and edit it while watching your reference monitor (aja outputting to reference monitor). Is this correct?

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Feb 22, 2011 at 5:37:28 pm

Having just started using a Mac with Premiere and an AJA card with DSLR video, I've had the same question.... as far as I can tell you HAVE to render/convert first for it to work smoothly if you want playback on a monitor. If someone else knows a different way, I'd love to hear it.

I finally decided I'm sick of Premiere today and I'm now using the AJA with FCP and the Canon EOS log and transfer plugin... it automatically transcodes to ProRes 422 REALLY fast when you import and then everything plays flawlessly on the Kona. Might be an option for you.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Feb 22, 2011 at 5:40:38 pm

Few clarifications.

1. There is NOTHING fast about transcoding all your footage.

2. You can do rough edit in Premiere Pro then media manage and go to FCP (if needed)

or

Edit in Premiere Pro and output via your graphics card in Real-Time (DVI to HDMI, Display Port to HDMI, etc).

Why transcode everything and use up 8 times as much drive space just to do your first pass on editing?

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Feb 22, 2011 at 5:49:24 pm

True that it's not fast to transcode, but it is faster than I anticipated, and easy too. I suppose it's render first on import, or render later... in my workflow rendering first seems way more efficient, and then it's already ProRes for later color correction/compositing.

Of course it's great that DSLR video plays back realtime via graphics cards, but not much help when you're trying to edit via a monitor connected via analog component. Otherwise there'd be no need for that pricey AJA Kona.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Feb 22, 2011 at 6:01:04 pm

[Micah McDowell] "True that it's not fast to transcode, but it is faster than I anticipated, and easy too. I suppose it's render first on import, or render later... in my workflow rendering first seems way more efficient, and then it's already ProRes for later color correction/compositing.

All depends what your shot ratio is. 3:1 , 5:1, 20:1?
If you're shot ratio is higher than 2:1, you'll spend more time transcoding then you will rendering for final output. MUCH more. Never mind the fact that you'll consume 8-12X more storage space on your hard drives (which also cost money).

[Micah McDowell] Of course it's great that DSLR video plays back realtime via graphics cards, but not much help when you're trying to edit via a monitor connected via analog component. Otherwise there'd be no need for that pricey AJA Kona."

Why do you need to EDIT via a monitor. Color correct, sure. But what is your external monitor doing for you that the computer display can't when it comes to true editing?

For digitally acquired sources.. that KONA is a waste of money until it comes time to output to tape.

I have Konas.. but we've switched to just iOExpress for monitoring.

You can also monitor JUST fine going out HDMI (which can easily be converted to HDSDI for $300).

Your making workflow decisions based upon emotional attachments to hardware you've already purchased.

If you go down this route... you are spending 8X more on storage and easily 3-10X more on logging and transcoding.

Just consider those facts as you evaluate your workflow.

for tapeless formats, expensive capture cards are becoming obsolete. This is why we've moved to KiPro and others for much of our acquisition.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Feb 22, 2011 at 5:43:34 pm

That is an analog output.

The realtime handling of HD is done by Mercury Engine. This outputs via your NVIDIA graphics card

To output over other video hardware you need to render.

Copy clips into a sequence with AJA settings.

Rendering just the timeline is far faster than transcoding everything yu shot.

See my not below... you can easily hook up a monitor via HDMI or convert HDMI into HD SDI and then get realtime monitoring

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Feb 22, 2011 at 7:50:56 pm

Micah, the Canon EOS log and transfer plugin sounds interesting.
Coming from Final cut Im used to transcode everything on ingest. Also I really like to se everything on both computer display and monitor at the same time.

Richard Harrington
"Why do you need to EDIT via a monitor. Color correct, sure. But what is your external monitor doing for you that the computer display can't when it comes to true editing?"

"Copy clips into a sequence with AJA settings.
Rendering just the timeline is far faster than transcoding everything yu shot."

Sooner or later you want to use the external monitor for color corection and gradeing. Just nice to get everything up and running from the beginning of editing...But yea alot of time and space is wasted on transcoding everything!

"You can also monitor JUST fine going out HDMI (which can easily be converted to HDSDI for $300)."
Richard Harrington

Do you mean using another card than nvidia with hdmi output? or using the dvi port on the nvidia card and convert that to hdmi?

Richard Harrington
"The realtime handling of HD is done by Mercury Engine. This outputs via your NVIDIA graphics card
To output over other video hardware you need to render."

If this is correct I guess the only option is to use the dvi and convert it to hdmi or just use plane dvi.

Thanks Richard for all info! I will think about the workflow.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Feb 22, 2011 at 7:55:52 pm

You can use the second port on the NVIDIA card

Some HD displays take DVI directly.

Others you can convert easily

Return to posts index

clyde villegas
on Feb 23, 2011 at 2:44:56 am

[Richard Harrington] "You can export via MEdia Encoder without rendering"

How do you do this with Adobe Media Encoder CS3? with CS5?

ut in omnibus glorificetur Deus

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Feb 25, 2011 at 4:43:13 am

Under CS5 you export the current sequence and choose to Queue the item. There is no need to first render the sequence. All frames are analyzed during the compression stage and pre-rendering adds no beneift.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]