FORUMS: list search recent posts

Starter lens?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Applewhite
Starter lens?
on Feb 16, 2011 at 4:40:32 pm

After much research I have decided to go with a 60D camera. It is the most for my budget. Lens choices however are driving me crazy. I was hoping to get some feedback on which lens you guys think would best suit my needs. My budget is around 600.00 give or take a little. I plan to shoot 90% video and have a Z5U that I will be using in conjunction with the 60D. I am an avid outdoorsman and film a lot of stuff outdoors, however I also plan to shoot some weddings ect... I've heard auto focus isn't that important for shooting video and I could save some money going with a lens that doesn't have it? Also that prime lenses are cheaper but think I need a little zoom for my outdoor stuff. Any help is appreciated. Regards, John

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: Starter lens?
on Feb 16, 2011 at 6:54:48 pm

Are you buying the body only or body with kit lens?

If you get the body with the kit lens, you will have a basic lens all the time and it is CHEEP to rent lenses when you want something else.
http://www.borrowlenses.com/category/canon

If you find yourself renting the same lens over and over then it would be good to consider purchasing that lens.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Feb 16, 2011 at 7:23:35 pm

[John Applewhite] "I've heard auto focus isn't that important for shooting video and I could save some money going with a lens that doesn't have it?"

Problem is, that autofocus doesn't work properly with those cams in video mode. So autofocus isn't that important, because you won't use it anyway. ;)

The kit-lens is not that bad, especially when shooting outdoors. IMHO it's a good starter. The first videos I made with my T2i, I made with the kit-lens. But when shooting indoors, you'll most definitly need a faster one. Maybe get a couple primes and a good zoom-lense.

As Zane wrote: Start with renting lenses an then buy the ones you know you need often.

All the best!

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Feb 17, 2011 at 1:52:08 pm

Its worth while taking a look at other brands, Sigma for instance. If you are mainly shooting video these lenses will be more than adequate as the HDSLR cameras "line shed" to process a full frame sized image from the chip. This means a lot of the benefit of the high resolution of Canon's expensive lenses are lost when in video mode.
It's still well worthwhile choosing a lens with a wide and constant aperture. A zoom lens without constant aperture will change exposure as you change focal lengths. A wide aperture is what these camera are about, giving you the ability to use selective depth of field when composing your shots.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Feb 17, 2011 at 7:53:21 pm

Hi John;

Phil is dead-on about Sigma lens for video. And they make lenses Canon doesn't (30mm f1.4, 20mm f1.8). As I own both these lenses, I love the images and huge DOF options, but a word on focusing. I would always look for Sigma lenses with a button for AF/MF, as the 20mm has a focus ring that clicks forward and back, and this design introduces play when focusing in the manual mode. The 30mm has no such play, and a much kinder "throw" (more overall movement, like a cine-lens) when racking. I love the view angle and speed of the 20mm, but it's really hard to follow a moving subject-even more than normal with a DSLR. Still my favorite brand of starter lenses though; plan on the 17-50mm f2.8 next...ML

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]