COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Giardina
Transcoding Option
on Feb 13, 2011 at 8:30:50 pm

Hi Everyone...

Is anyone using 5DtoRGB 1.1 beta

5DtoRGB converts Canon EOS series video files to
ProRes QuickTime files or high-quality DPX sequences.

http://rarevision.com/5dtorgb/

Best Regards

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
Re: Transcoding Option
on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:17:13 am

Hello Frank,

I use 5DtoRGB; mostly to double check my other transcoding methods (MPEG streamclip, Compressor). Every now and then I've had a conversion (MPEG streamclip) that's noticeably darker than I remember shooting. Just to have a free transcoder that even mentions gamma is great. But by they're own admission, it's not fast; it's quality before quantity. Do I notice a difference on my laptop "monitor", no. Do I think it does a better job, yes. So I pick and choose when I think it serves the target medium. Loads of gigs for the internet, maybe not; indie feature with delusions of Sundance, sure. I would have responded to your last post, but I'm just a newbie in this field of pros. Working hard to change that...ML

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Feb 14, 2011 at 10:00:09 am

Michael, is there really a significant quality improvement by using 5DtoRGB instead of say using MPEGStreamclip for transcoding? How does it affect the videos? I read somenthing about "chroma smoothing" on the rarevision site.
5DtoRGB was no option for me since I work on windows, but there seems to be a pc-version to be released.
Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Feb 14, 2011 at 8:54:31 pm

Herr Berger,
I think there is some difference in quality, but it varies greatly for some people depending on the demands of the image, and the software/settings they use. I'm not seeing a huge difference in some low contrast footage I shot in a hospital room with practical lights. But some people find a big difference with high contrast/dynamic range shots, like night exteriors. http://www.elskid.com/blog/5d-to-rgb-new-transcoding-app-tested-at-home When it's available for PC, I'd definitely do some testing with your own footage. I think it's partly the gamma thing (1.8/2.2) with MPEG/Quicktime/Compressor, but I don't have the monitoring necessary to really judge "jaggy edges", I just use the scopes in FCP. So again, for Vimeo uploads (not payed work), maybe not. But for our indie feature, we're just doing the transcoding way ahead (no firm deadline) until we have enough shot to edit a trailer. I'll take any level of improvement in the T2i/FCP workflow pipeline, just incase it actually makes it to a "big screen". Thanks for the interest...ML

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Feb 15, 2011 at 8:28:50 am

Mr Locke,
thanks a lot for your detailed description! If the windows version is available, I'll definitly check it out! Sounds extremely promising.

All the best!

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:02:50 pm

Hi Peter and Michael...

I'm shooting with a 7D using a custom neutral setup, and using(MPEG streamclip)to transcode. It's really fast, but my blacks seem really heavy.

I haven't had time to download 5DtoRGB and do testing. I plan on it after reading about it.

Best Regards!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Frank Giardina
on Feb 14, 2011 at 12:57:26 pm

Hey Michael...

Thanks!! I'm going to check it out too.

Best Regards!

Frank Giardina
17 Video Production

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Feb 21, 2011 at 10:21:20 am

This is so funny, i'm currently busy doing about the same thing...
(Using FFmpeg for transcoding).
But:
Instead of improving the image quality, my goal is to improve workflows. (And i do not think that rendering out to DPX is something anyone will do.)
So my approach is to offload cards 'as they are', and make a transcoded copy right after that. (To either DNxHD or Prores, or any other QT codec you have on your machine)
Gamma can be taken care off in the QT export dialogue, as well as the RGB to 709 color mapping for DNxHD.

And to top it off, the Mac version can make optical XDcam as well.
That is of course 1920x1080 MpegII @ 50 Mb, not an 'improvement' over the source, but highly compatible with all NLE's out there, and easy to give out to clients right after the shoot.

check it out here:

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/15/offloader/2

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]