FORUMS: list search recent posts

sunrise timelapse with 7d

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Hager
sunrise timelapse with 7d
on Feb 13, 2011 at 3:27:09 pm

I am shooting a sunrise timelapse in the morning on my 7d. Everyone suggests shooting in manual mode. My concern is the changing amount of natural light over the timelapse. I am not wanting to change aperture during the timelapse for fear of moving the camera. Would it be better to shoot in aperture priority mode instead?

Just a thought,
Bob

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: sunrise timelapse with 7d
on Feb 13, 2011 at 3:58:31 pm

Nope manual mode.

Otherwise your lens will change and you will see a jump in shot when assembled

You need to estiamte exposure
or Shoot Raw

Then compensate in post

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Bob Hager
on Feb 13, 2011 at 6:15:39 pm

Thanks Richard, makes sense. I am thinking of an aperture of around a f/10 and then experimenting with shutter speed as I begin.

Just a thought,
Bob

Return to posts index

Bob Hager
on Feb 14, 2011 at 4:39:09 pm

I did a trial shoot this morning on my sunrise time-lapse I estimated the aperture/shutter and shot in raw. About 45 minutes into it, I had to speed up shutter speed one stop and I also stopped shooting 30 minutes after sunrise for fear of the suns damage to my lens Is there any way of protecting my lens while shooting a little more of the suns rising

Also is there a way of batch processing my raw files exposure? I have about 500 raw files.

Just a thought,
Bob

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Feb 14, 2011 at 9:38:34 pm

"I had to speed up shutter speed one stop..."

You cant do this.... you effect the brightness of the images and your time lapse will look bad.... like you changed your iris in mid shot. You need to plan ahead, if needed the day before, to know what your exposure and shutter should be at full daylight and set it to that... the next morning, DON'T CHANGE IT.... it will be a dark frame to start with but that is the point, to capture the progression of the sun rising from darkness, right?

"...I also stopped shooting 30 minutes after sunrise for fear of the suns damage to my lens..."

This is not an issue, the sun wont damage your lens or sensor under normal working conditions.... I do these all the time, with no damage yet.

Good Luck!!

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Theo Dubeux
on Feb 19, 2011 at 4:36:19 am

This is a FAQ from an excelent forum about timelapse: Timescapes. Rather helpful.

Return to posts index

Bob Hager
on Feb 14, 2011 at 7:11:02 pm

I just realized I accidentally unusubed to this thread.

Just a thought,
Bob

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Feb 15, 2011 at 12:09:46 am

Take a look at this article, it could be of some help: http://content.photojojo.com/tutorials/ultimate-guide-to-time-lapse-photogr...

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Bob Hager
on Feb 19, 2011 at 8:56:49 pm

Excellent practical resources. Appreciate the help. I have learned a lot already.

Just a thought,
Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]