FORUMS: list search recent posts

shutter speed

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Tannenbaum
shutter speed
on Feb 9, 2011 at 12:07:36 am

OK, I'm new at this. If we must be locked in at 1/50 or 1/60 depending on fps, why not "simply" shoot shutter priority? I know there are reasons to up the speed (slo-mo) for one. I'm guessing that in aperture priority (my choice for 30 years), the shutter is potentially out of whack with the goal of fps and in manual, the ISO is unstable.
Just getting under weigh and want to start off right. Please share the preferred method. Denks!

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: shutter speed
on Feb 9, 2011 at 3:11:59 am

Video shot at different shutter speeds looks incredibly different- you want to peg your shutter speed and work with aperture first and ISO second. Augmenting the light as needed. Video and still are quite different disciplines.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Richard Cooper
on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:44:05 pm

Yes, I agree with Noah.... and to add to that, NOTHING, including shutter or f/stop should be auto when shooting video. Do everything manual and your footage will be nice and consistent. Nothing worse than having your camera "decide" to bump the iris mid shot.
As far as shutter goes, in my experience, you don't have to ONLY shoot at 50 or 60. But you do need to decide what shutter to use before you shoot and not change it mid shot sequence. Some Directors I have worked with like a high shutter look under certain situation when they want that specific look. Do some tests and check out the different looks you can achieve by using a faster shutter and then you will be well prepared to make a good decision in the field to attain the look you, or your Director are looking for.

Hope this helps

Good Luck!

Richard Cooper
FrostLine Productions, LLC
Anchorage, Alaska
http://www.frostlineproductions.com

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Feb 16, 2011 at 3:42:29 am

For smooth running Canon do recommend 1/50 or 1/60 we have followed this for two years and it does the job. I have noticed most of their camcorders are at around 1/50. it does improve the look especially when horizontal panning.especially with a Canon 5D mark II

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]