FORUMS: list search recent posts

codec and other choices

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Tannenbaum
codec and other choices
on Feb 8, 2011 at 8:58:11 pm

I'm just getting started with video...many years in the biz otherwise. I'm shooting with a D7000, 1920 X 1080 @ 24fps (ok, 23.97).I'm on a G5 running FCP v5. In Mpeg Streamclip the compression I'm using is Appple Intermediate Codec @ 100%...sound @ 48kHz.With the system I've got, the various Apple ProRes codecs aren't available...I've read they're great if you can get to them. Anyway,Interfaced scaling is OFF. Now, which Frame Size should I use? 1920 x 1080 unscaled? 1280 x 720 HDTV 720p?
I'm also "told" that Apple Photojpeg is the codec to use. This is specifically for stock footage.

I just don't know enough to choose wisely. Otherwise, how are my settings?

Mucho dankas. Ken

Ken Tannenbaum

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: codec and other choices
on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:21:20 am

The Apple PhotoJpeg codec is used very much as an output codec for stock footage, but imho not the best one for working since it uses heavy compression.
Many people use the Cinfeorm-codec or the free Avid DNxHD-codec for editing and then output to their desired format.

Return to posts index

Anders Larsen
Re: codec and other choices
on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:26:17 am

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but a G5 is, well, less than ideal for working with HD.

Get your hands on an Intel Mac, any Intel Mac. An old used one will still do a better job than a G5 and give you access to ProRes.

Hate to be a party-pooper here but I really suggest that you save yourself the hassle of keeping that old G5 alive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]