FORUMS: list search recent posts

OK - I'm Switching - What's Missing?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Walton
OK - I'm Switching - What's Missing?
on Feb 8, 2011 at 4:07:44 pm

I shoot mainly macro (insects) in natural light. My previous production set up was based on Canon's XL H1, EF Adapter, and EF100mm F2.8 Macro. Post production using FCP 6.06 and Telestream Episode 5 with most media destined for online use.

This is the set up I am planning to buy:
-60D, Canon EF100mm F2.8 Macro, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 , Zacuto Z-Finder V2, Manfrotto 701HDV & 055XB Tripod & Head

Is there a problem with moire pattern when shooting macro?

The XL H1 & EF100mm F2.8 Macro gave me, I believe, something like a 7x boost in magnification. How will this compare with the same lens on the 60D?

I do use ambient audio in my work and would appreciate suggestions for an onboard mic to
record decent audio.

From Richard & Robbie's podcast I am assuming if I use SDHC Class 10 cards that file transfer will not be a problem (speed-wise). Is there a card reader(s) that is(are) substantially better than
Sony's Multi Card Reader/Writer MRW62E-S2 (I own this).

What have I forgot to consider???

Many Thanks!

Dick Walton
Natural History Services
http://www.rkwalton.com

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
Re: OK - I'm Switching - What's Missing?
on Feb 9, 2011 at 5:20:31 am

I don't have a Canon but everything I have read says yes you will deal with moire from it, more so than say the GH2.

As far as a mic I think you need to look into something called Magic Lantern in order to utilize one if you want the audio recorded with your video.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Feb 9, 2011 at 10:08:27 am

Concerning audio: With the 60D you can do manual audio adjustment. But nevertheless I'd look for an external audio recorder plus microphone, if audio is important to you. The in-built mic is not really the way to go, even for ambient sounds.

With external audio you can get as close to the audio source as you want and you won't record any "camera-operation sounds".

Magic Lantern will be available for the 60D as well and it's definitly worth a look.
I use it with my T2i and it boosts the usability extremely with all the new features like "focus peaking", "rack focussing" etc.

Haven't done any (serious) macro shots, but as with all canons: shoot with internal sharpening all the way down and introduce sharpness in post. Moiré will be even a bigger issue if you use 720p rather than 1080p. So it's best to use Full HD, imho.

Return to posts index

Richard Walton
on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:20:39 pm

I appreciate the specifics on the audio needs as well as the camera adjustments to reduce moire.

Dick Walton
Natural History Services

Return to posts index

Richard Walton
on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:18:25 pm

Thanks - I'll check out Magic Lantern

Dick Walton
Natural History Services

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
on Feb 9, 2011 at 7:41:03 pm

Your 100mm EF lens will be equivalent to a 162mm... roughly 1.6x crop factor, not the 7x (actually closer to 8X) that you had on the XL. Might need some new glass, or prepare to have to get way closer.

The moire pattern on Canon DSLRs haven't bothered me for the most part. Especially since you're generally shooting organic subjects, you probably won't have too many issues.

Return to posts index

Richard Walton
on Feb 9, 2011 at 8:22:25 pm

Hmmmm - I thought there was going to be a difference but that is BIG! I guess I better start researching a new lens. Thanks!

Dick Walton
Natural History Services

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]