FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Recorders for DSLR??

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Thomas
External Recorders for DSLR??
on Jan 29, 2011 at 9:24:41 pm

I'm a bit confused on this topic:

1. Is it possible to use an external recorder (Nanoflash, etc) on the canon dslr's? In other posts I've read that only the 7D and the GH2 will work for that.

2. Are there "affordable" external recorders out there? I looked up the Nanoflash prices--wow! Too expensive.

3. What exactly would I gain by using an external recorder with a DSLR?

4. If it is possible to do this and it's supposedly such a great thing...why isn't there more online talk about it?

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: External Recorders for DSLR??
on Jan 29, 2011 at 9:32:35 pm

Possible. Sort of. mant cameras wTermark

Benefits. Longer record times and other codecs

Price? Welcome to pro video.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Jan 29, 2011 at 10:18:20 pm

Richard, what does "mant cameras with Termark" mean?

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 29, 2011 at 10:52:44 pm

Phone typying

Most cameras will watermark or have info or record dot. Cam bypass camera rec and just do external.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 30, 2011 at 5:37:12 pm

You can't get a full size/quality signal out of any DSLR camera, so whatever you get out of the HDMI will be less than optimal.
This question is posted everyday on the NANO-flash forums, and it seems nobody has been able to tweak the firmware to do so.
The people of Convergent-Design (NANO-Flash makers) would be very happy if anybody wold success; they would be selling tens of thousands.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Jan 31, 2011 at 3:26:07 am

That's what I was wanting to know. That would explain why there isn't any discussion about that online. I thought it seemed to good to be true. Thank you Rafael.

Return to posts index

Mike Thomas
on Jan 31, 2011 at 4:43:24 am

One more thought: What about the Panasonic GH-2? I've been reading online reviews that this camera will record a clean picture out to an external recorder. I couldn't find any "confirmed" reports about this, only that it's "suppose to" be able to do that. Does anyone know? If this is true I'll be buying one over the Canons for sure!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 31, 2011 at 10:45:15 am

[Mike Thomas] "One more thought: What about the Panasonic GH-2? I've been reading online reviews that this camera will record a clean picture out to an external recorder. I couldn't find any "confirmed" reports about this, only that it's "suppose to" be able to do that. Does anyone know?"
If that was true, I have my NANO ready :-)

Seems that most cameras put out two different signal when on REC or on Stand BY. I thing this is miss leading people to thing that if one is bad, the other should be good.
rafael
PS: I use the NANO to record from the HDMI of my little JVC Everio. Works super.

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Jan 31, 2011 at 3:55:56 pm

I was lead to believe that the GH2 has a clean (no graphics), uncompressed 1080p signal coming out of the HDMI, straight from the sensor. So, if that is true, I'm sure you could hook up an external recorder with an HDMI option to the GH2, and record super high quality video from it.

This has been a plan of mine for sometime now. Buy a GH2, get a FlashNano, and have higher quality video...

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 31, 2011 at 5:30:35 pm

[Ryan Orr] "I was lead to believe that the GH2 has a clean (no graphics), uncompressed 1080p signal coming out of the HDMI, straight from the sensor. So, if that is true, I'm sure you could hook up an external recorder with an HDMI option to the GH2, and record super high quality video from it.

This has been a plan of mine for sometime now. Buy a GH2, get a FlashNano, and have higher quality video...
"

There are some issues with the frame rate and/or pulldown. The consensus seems to be that recording the HDMI signal is a no-go right now. The good news is that the video looks really good recorded in-camera at 25mb.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 2, 2011 at 7:11:04 am

This is anecdotal rather than researched fact, but I read a post in the early days of the 5dMkii that indicated that the issue was that with the big raster of the full frame 35mm sensor, even the screamingly fast Digic 4 processor at the heart of the Canon DSLR line wasn't fast enough to BOTH write to the card and simultaneously blast the sensor info at full frame rate out to HDMI. So they cut the LIVE VIEW feed accordingly.

With the smaller sensor on the 7d - and therefore the reduced data output, they got both to work, but there are still timing issues.

Remember, the 5d was never actually supposed to do video as well as it does. It was a happy accident when the engineers discovered they could blast 30 frames out the processor at 1920x1080 without everything overheating. And bingo - the DSLR Revolution launched on that happy accident.

The cameras are what they are. Revolutionary. But NOT perfect in any sense as video cameras.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Conner

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Feb 4, 2011 at 11:19:24 pm

Apparently there's been recent progress making the GH2's live HDMI externally recorded 1080p24 output usable:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?237584-HDMI-Capture-Problem-SOLVED...

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]