FORUMS: list search recent posts

Prores Color shifts - Bet you cant solve it

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Thygesen
Prores Color shifts - Bet you cant solve it
on Jan 29, 2011 at 11:52:13 am

Hi Everybody

So i would imagine a lot of people having these problems, once and for all i want this "annoyance" cleared up !

Everything displayed on new macbook pro with qt player 7 and enable final cut compatibility enabled (when enabled, video is not displayed using colorsync. Source colors are read with 2.2 gamma and are displayed in a color space with 1.8 gamma).

2rows:
Top - raw h.264 from canon 5dmarkII
bottom - prores 422hq converted from said raw h.264 in mpeg streamclip

h364-1
The raw canon and the 422 converted file are displayed exactly the same, awesome. However the canvas is a bit lighter, very little though.
the mpegstreamclip converted 422 is displayed exactly the same.

h264-2
the raw canon has been through after effects cs5 and is displayed exactly the same, awesome.

h264-3
the raw canon has been through final cut pro 7.03 and is displayed exactly the same, awesome.

_____

422-1
on right 442hq converted from raw canon, ae canvas quite a bit lighter : /

422-2
the streamclip converted 422 has been through after effects and color has shifted. : (

422-3
the streamclip converted 422 has been through final cut and color has shifted. : (

What can i do to get consistent color through after affects and final cut ?
What can i do to get after effects to display the correct color in canvas ?
, it is driving me crazy !

The Last picture is an f4v converted from the same movie- first from right displayed in adobe media player, then qt player x, then qt player 7 with final cut studio compatibility enabled, makes me think that if flash is going to display my video in this way i should trust qt player 7 with final cut studio compatibility enabled.

Thanks in advance !

Martin

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Prores Color shifts - Bet you cant solve it
on Jan 29, 2011 at 9:35:13 pm

Not to sound trite. But you can't expect web video players to show color consistently. H264 also has gamma issues depending on app. Stay native as long as possible, then deal with during color grade.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Martin Thygesen
on Jan 30, 2011 at 7:34:34 am

Thanks for your reply Richard !

Im aware of the h264 issues but this seems to be a prores / the way ae and fcp handles it - issue.

and you have a point regarding the "web video players", but that issue aside the shifts happen before flash conversion, in this example i have stayed native as long as possible, before being able to handle the footage in fcp the prores conversion must occur,

thanks though.

Return to posts index

Olin Padilla
on Jan 31, 2011 at 1:30:57 am

I face this same issue pretty much constantly. I don't know exactly what the cause is, but I don't think it's the codec.

Simply put, in FCP video looks darker than it does in AE.

If you want the gamma to look (almost) exactly like it does in AE, you can apply a gamma correction filter set at .82.

Personally, I do all my color grading in AE, render and re-import for the audio sync in FCP, then apply the filter.

Of course, if you do any kind of additional compressions the gamma will shift again, and in either direction. I think the best solution is to find a middle ground in your brightness that looks good in both programs. Gamma shifts are hard to predict, especially in web compression.

Return to posts index

Martin Thygesen
on Jan 31, 2011 at 5:56:08 pm

Yeah it's a real pain ! Thanks for the tip about the gamma Olin, but
as you can see in my picture the gamma is shifted equally in both ae
and fcp, and the canvas is showing it differently, amazing that this
is at all a problem and you would think that everyone is dealing with
this : \

Do I need to switch codecs Apple? I love prores, but I hate not being
able to have any control over my final result : /

Return to posts index