FORUMS: list search recent posts

dslr interviews

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Hager
dslr interviews
on Jan 27, 2011 at 5:19:33 am

I'm in the process of switching most of my video work to a DSLR. I need some help with recording interviews with a DSLR. Unless I go to two cameras, I am struggling on varying my shots without stopping and interfering with the flow of the interview. Obviously I can use b roll to help with this, but with my old xl1, I could use an occasional zoom to offer variety, but i have a fairly long interview in a couple of weeks and not sure what to do.

Just a thought,
Bob

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: dslr interviews
on Jan 27, 2011 at 5:29:44 am

Skip the DSLR and get a video camera that doesn't suffer from overheating. Get the tools that you need to do the job. Don't try to use a hammer to get a screw into the wall. Use the tool that does it right.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 28, 2011 at 7:23:59 pm

I'm with Shane: forget the DSLR, go with a video camera. If you need to record continuously for more than 15 minutes, you'll be hosed with a DSLR.

And who says you have to maintain the same shot throughout the whole interview?
Can't you zoom in and out during questions?
Can't you get wide cover shots of interviewer and subject chatting before or after the interview?
Can't you get reverse-angle reaction shots of the interviewer?
Reaction shots of the interviewer with the subject over-the-shoulder in the foreground?

They've been shooting interviews with a single camera for decades.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 29, 2011 at 12:31:56 am

[Dave LaRonde] "I'm with Shane: forget the DSLR, go with a video camera. If you need to record continuously for more than 15 minutes, you'll be hosed with a DSLR."

Technically, it's not a DSLR, but the Panny GH2 will record for as long as your memory card will allow. I did a 93 minute recording before my 16GB card was used up.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Jan 27, 2011 at 9:09:45 am

Is there any possibility of renting a second camera and placing it on a tripod for a fixed shot, probably your widest. That can be your "A" camera.

Then use your "B" camera to move around and get a variety of medium and close up shots.

That's about the only way. Remember you will only be able to film up to 12 minute clips on your "A" camera so someone needs to be assigned to do the whole stop/start thing. Also, you will have to be coordinating to make sure that the B camera is getting the necessary coverage during those few seconds when the A camera is restarting.

Filming at 1080p HD, I find I can easily "create" closeup shots particularly if the video is being edited for a 720p project. It doesn't change the angle of course but it does add at least a little variety.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Jan 27, 2011 at 9:44:10 am

If it's just for restarting the camera: If you have the T2i (550D) you can try the Magic Lantern Firmware, which allows to automatically restart recording. Very handy! Only a short break (about a sec. or so) between takes.
Magic Lantern is also available for the 5D and 60D. Don't know if the restart feature is available for those versions as well.

Return to posts index

Bob Hager
on Jan 27, 2011 at 1:10:04 pm

I do think the 2nd camera is the solution. My only concern would be unless it was another Canon DSLR that the difference in the footage would be too obvious. Is there any correspondence in appearance between a canon dslr and a canon hd video camera or is the matching going to have to be done mainly in post?

I hear the issue with using the right tool for the right project, but sometimes you just have to work with what you have.

Just a thought,
Bob

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Jan 27, 2011 at 1:17:40 pm

Had to match Canon DSLR-footage from a 7D and T2i with progressive HDV footage from a Sony V1 couple of times. Worked pretty well. Just be shure you match the cameras as closely as possible, speaking of white-balance exposure and colour and do the rest in post.
Shouldn't be too hard.

Return to posts index

Bob Hager
on Jan 27, 2011 at 2:45:09 pm

One other question. In your experience how long does it take before you begin running into overheating problems and how long does it take to cool down after overheating?

Just a thought,
Bob

Return to posts index

John Frey
on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:50:45 pm

The Panasonic GH2 will give you the benefits of a DSLR but will not limit you to 12 minute record limit or incur overheating. In addition, it has an articulating viewfinder, clean HDMI out, and allows for adjustable depth of field with either it's own 20mm, 1.7 lens or one of the many available Nikon Nikkor lenses with a Fotodiox adapter. I have the Nikkor 1.4 50mm and the 2.8 28mm which I purchased used for $75 each - great manual lenses with real exposure control.

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 27, 2011 at 7:39:40 pm

[Steve Crow] "Filming at 1080p HD, I find I can easily "create" closeup shots particularly if the video is being edited for a 720p project. It doesn't change the angle of course but it does add at least a little variety."

Steve,

That is the best idea I've heard in a long while! I just did a quick test and I think this will work out nicely. A 1080p clip on a 720p timeline scales down to 66.67% to fit, so the clips you scale to 100% will, in essence, be 33.33% closer to the subject. That is enough differential to avoid the 'jump cut'. Using this method, I can shoot a whole interview without having to snap zoom in and out, which affects exposure if you don't have a constant aperture lens. Great tip!

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]