FORUMS: list search recent posts

Optimum settings for video: ISO & Aperture...

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Folorunsho
Optimum settings for video: ISO & Aperture...
on Jan 16, 2011 at 6:55:38 pm

So I've been shooting DSLR video on my T2i for a little while now and I'm generally happy with my settings/results. However I want to see if I can squeeze more quality from my camera/lenses. Here's my question:

If I'm shooting in a situation where I'm getting perfect exposure with my aperture wide open (say f/1.8 on a f/1.8 lens), ISO at 200 and shutter at 1/50, would it be better or worse to stop down the aperture to f/3.2ish or slower and up my ISO to say 400 or even 800? Lenses are supposed to produce a sharper/better image when stopped down from their widest aperture...right? If so, should I favour the ISO or the aperture for correct exposure?

(Depth of field wouldn't be an issue in this analogy).

Thanks in advance, Mike

Michael Folorunsho - Videographer & Editor
http://www.mikedoesmedia.com

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Optimum settings for video: ISO & Aperture...
on Jan 16, 2011 at 7:24:06 pm

Set f-stop for depth f field you want
Adjust ISO until properly exposed.

If getting above the ISO you are comfortable (for me 800-1200) then adjust f-stop

If shooting outdoors, you may need to add filtration to lens to knock it down

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Jan 16, 2011 at 10:51:48 pm

" Lenses are supposed to produce a sharper/better image when stopped down from their widest aperture"

Actually it's the exact opposite. you never want to go f/22 because you'll lose a huge amount of detail due to the diffraction limit.

In any case, a neutral density filter with a polerizer will enable both a large aperture and high dyanamic range by cutting the glare out and disabling diffraction.

The ISO will add grain so don't crank it over 800.

If you're shooting a low fps, the shutter becomes the highest priority. usually double the framerate.

Just as in professional filmmaking, the control over light is what makes you either a professional or an ameteur.

if you're interested in getting a lot of things in focus, go for the hyperfocal distance
instead of the smallest aperture your camera supports. This will teach you to be a better photographer.

here's more.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:18:37 pm

Nice article, Chris. Thanks for the link.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]