FORUMS: list search recent posts

Taking requests for new DSLR Podcasts

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Harrington
Taking requests for new DSLR Podcasts
on Jan 7, 2011 at 12:59:20 am

We're going to record some new episodes next week....

Can't make any promises, but requests are welcome.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Taking requests for new DSLR Podcasts
on Jan 7, 2011 at 2:40:39 am

Must have accessories, Viewfinder, Variable ND filter and audio device.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:54:37 am

Please explain to the entire world why spending $3-5k to purchase a video capable DSLR is exactly the same as spending $3-5k to buy a nice used piano.

EVERYONE intuitively understands that ownership of a piano does NOT make anyone a musician.

But NOBODY seems to understand that about a DSLR.

(Personally, I think it's because the camera has a nice simple button that makes it a red light go on - something vastly satisfying to the reptilian part of the human brain which interprets the light as "I'm making a MOVIE!!!!" while turning on an electric keyboard, for example, only frustrates us when we push the keys and receive only uncoordinated noise in return.)

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 7, 2011 at 5:09:23 am

Umm... Bill, can we stay on topic. Clearly the show ain't for you.

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Jan 7, 2011 at 11:05:38 am

Must confess to having a little chuckle at Bill's post.

But seeing as he mentioned pianos how about a tutorial(s) on the sound recording methods for HDSLRs?

Dual system, syncing, AGC etc.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jan 7, 2011 at 8:50:56 pm

DSLR Steadicam might be a good topic. I bought a Merlin after watching a guy balance a 5D on YouTube.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 9, 2011 at 1:15:14 am

Uh - how exactly was my post NOT on topic?

Yes, it was a bit tongue in cheek. But does that mean it wasn't appropriate?

It's your show, Richard. You're therefore free to focus it anyway you like. You can stick to the button pushing. You can deal with artistic issues. And you can even choose whether or not to allow social/political related business topics like I suggested. Thats exclusively your purview as the producer.

But you asked for open ideas. And I think mine was both germane and perhaps even important considering how the industry is configured right now.

So I'll stand by my suggestion and encourage you to create content that has meaning beyond what's contained in the "here's the newest lens from Canon" press release. Or not. As you see fit.

And there's actually a REASON I'm proposing this. The 5d Mk ii form factor and attendent issues may be history in all too short a time. If that's ALL you cover, you MIGHT have problems sustaining interest for the long run. Or not.

Up to you.

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Jan 9, 2011 at 2:44:08 am

Bill

Reading your original post I think the thing was that it was kind of confusing and exceptionally metaphorical. Not to take way from what you were/are saying I think Rich's response was one of confusion and what the F are you saying. It took me a couple read through's to get at the gist of what your saying. I think I get it but let me ask you if I have it:

You'd like to see a podcast devoted to the exploration of why use these cameras? Or another way of saying that is are these cameras just hype and a bandwagon device or are they serious tools. Also you'd like to see a discussion of the practicality/businesses sense of using these cameras. Is this getting closer to the original meaning of your post?

Knowing Rich as well as I do and also knowing the tone that can be implied in email/forum posts I know that he didn't mean to belittle your thoughts just confused.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Jan 9, 2011 at 5:02:55 am

Apologies Bill... I must have misunderstood your original point.

DSLRs are the DV Revolution 2.0

There's going to be a lot of blood... and a lot of bad product, but the end result and change is good.

With thai said (while I agree with some of your points)... I doubt the Cow will want to fund the production costs of Rob and I debating the business merit. Most of the videos we do are specific technical skills that relate to production or post.

Business and art are great fodder for the forums.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Jan 7, 2011 at 9:38:57 am

Don't know if this may be too big a topic or goes too deep into the subject, but since it still creates big confuson: How about talking working with DSLR footage, especially "shooting flat", "problems in editing DSLR footage" (workarounds, when not using CS5...) and usage of picture profiles with the Canons. Just a thought.

Edit: Forgot to mention, that I really appreciate your podcast Richard and Robbie! Great work! Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
on Jan 7, 2011 at 1:02:29 pm

- Use of VariND/FaderND filters. In what situations you should and should not use those.

- Difference it makes by adding a bit of sharpness (or unsharp mask) back in to the edit at the end of your editing process

- How to set up your camera when shooting with a Beachtek for on-board audio

Richard van den Boogaard
Freelance cameraman • Glidecam Operator • Editor • YouTube expert

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jan 7, 2011 at 6:54:53 pm

[Richard Harrington] "We're going to record some new episodes next week....

Can't make any promises, but requests are welcome."

How about 'Shooting techniques for minimizing rolling shutter artifacts'?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jan 7, 2011 at 8:56:19 pm

Take a cue from the show "What not to wear."

An episode detailing how DSLR is not the answer for every problem.

Situations to avoid and conventional techniques that don't work with DSLR.

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jan 7, 2011 at 8:59:11 pm

Special techniques unique to DSLR.

I'm thinking tilt-shift lenses because I use them for stills. But you could get into all kinds of creative possibilities afforded by cross-over from still optics - things that simply have never been part of conventional video or film production.

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jan 7, 2011 at 9:32:27 pm

A survey of audio production devices and techniques.

It would be nice to pull in some seasoned audio guys like Ty Ford as a guest.

If it is impractical to have Ty in person, then do it VoIP or POTS. Oh yeah, report on how you do it! I personally use a JK Audio Broadcast Host Digital Hybrid.

What is Ty Ford's take on Zoom H4n and Tascam DR100?

Ask Ty about limitations of the shooter doubling as wannabe audio guy. Ty seems very low key, but this bit could get animated and colorful.

Talk microphones, including built-in on Zoom and Tascam above because they are pervasive to amateur and event videographer-level DSLR production, but also discuss real production mics plugged into XLRs of those devices.

What standard of audio production balances the quality level people are seeking from DSLRs?

Discuss using 2-channel (aka stereo) recorders to capture mono audio, with differing levels. What devices support this technique?

Is using cheap digital audio recorders as planted devices a viable technique?

What about conventional mic preamps and mixers?

Do a feature on mid-side stereo mic technique, including production recording, equipment, and processing in post.

Frankly, anything less than XLR inputs with real mics, I think Ty is going to dismiss as toys. This includes all the Beachtek type adapters and Rode camera mics.

Tips on using wired lavaliers with typical DSLR recording equipment like Zoom H4n and Tascam DR-100.

Is using a boom operator with a wireless transmitter to throw audio to the recorder a bad idea? How about to camera audio input?

Cover multi-track audio recorders like Tascam DR-680, Tascam HS-P82, Sound Devices 7-Series. Advantages of discrete channel recording in situations like interviews where more than 2 people are involved.

Discuss wild audio, using non-sync sound. These forgotten techniques were once standard practice in the era of 16mm production.

Define some "next steps" for audio quality with DSLR. Including higher end recorders like Sound Devices, etc.

Address audio in post, the pain of poor source, handling stereo, problems of summing prosumer audio to mono, phase cancellation issues , etc.

Double system sound, PluralEyes, etc.

Get heavy duty with PluralEyes, discuss time code, and lack thereof, compensation techniques, limitations of PluralEyes.

Sum up DSLR audio beginning, "If you love your editor, make absolutely sure of these things..."

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jan 7, 2011 at 9:37:58 pm

Somebody needs to tell how the cow ate the cabbage when it comes to DSLR support systems.

Does low budget indie DSLR have to mean the cheapest head in the Manfrotto catalog? Ugh...

How about special techniques like sliders, dollies, and jibs.

Besides discussing the minimums, also cover gear that working professionals can live with. I'm talking about the stuff where the designer things beyond simply perfecting the function, but also the practice - which means transport cases, design finesse like captive screws and no lost parts on location, plus ease of setup and speed of use. There are too many garage project dollies based on skateboard wheels that are simply too cumbersome for day-in-day-out use.

Gadgets are no good if they are too much trouble to use.

Return to posts index

Danny Grizzle
on Jan 7, 2011 at 9:46:17 pm

An overview of follow focus systems. Somebody has already posted a quickie review of about 8 different manufacturers on YouTube. It is a very quick and dirty review.

It would be nice to hear from some shooters with hands-on experience.

I'm personally considering an iDC System Zero right now. Very unconventional friction approach, but it looks like it works, it looks simple, and it looks fast to setup and use, including lens changes.

Other Accessories:

Matte box systems, including details of filter stages and possibilities of square filters. Discuss swing away stages and lens changing.

ProPrompter

The $10 software for iPhone / iPad is outrageously wonderful. The matching HDi prompter hardware looks really sweet, lightweight, and a great match for DSLR production.

Return to posts index

Adrian Jans
on Jan 10, 2011 at 6:34:49 pm

Howabout something on controlling your depth of field, or rather the factors that influence it. What lighting set ups + what lenses = what look.

Something on what settings are ideal for green screen use would probably get a lot of attention too.

Use diagrams, pictures and the like for visual reference, even simple whiteboard drawings would probably suffice for a lot of these subjects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]