FORUMS: list search recent posts

D7000 Video settings

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Johnson
D7000 Video settings
on Jan 3, 2011 at 3:47:11 am

Hey guys and gals.. I just purchased a d7000 and Im NOVICE at video on a dslr. What settings are you using to produce good images? Im reading that I should use 180 degree shutter.. well on my Sony EX3 and other video cameras I can achieve this easily.. but im not finding that availability on here..

Any advice you have to offer will be appreciated!
Thanks

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: D7000 Video settings
on Jan 3, 2011 at 5:51:51 am

Down + Down + Forward + Forward + Punch...

No wait that's a fireball in street fighter.

Your question is WAY to wide.

Images are a combination of lighting, lens choice, composition, etc.

For DSLRs (especially Nikons) you'll shoot flat and color grade in post.

For proper exposure, follow the exposure triangle of F-stop, ISO, and shutter speed.

Typically 1/60 or a 1/50 depending on frame rate.

SERIOUSLY suggest you pick up a book on the topic and watch the podcast here. There's A LOT more to getting results with this cameras then just twiddling menu settings.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Josh Johnson
on Jan 3, 2011 at 6:15:36 am

I always wondered what that combo was!

After some testing I did see that 1/50 looked great. Earlier today me being not familar with the camera.. I just got it friday.. I had it in P mode( this was advised on a couple sites).. this was causing high shutter speeds and shaky shaky video. After using 1/50 and shooting in M I was able to get a much better image and video quality.

Im new to the DSLR vid. world .. So i've got a bit of learning to do.. For a guy who shoots video for living.. this is a welcome learning experience. Im curious if investing in a VR lens or Tamron VC lens would aid in smoothing the video out...

I am looking at steadicam units for the camera as well.. any recommendations on rigging?

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Matthew Noel
on Jan 26, 2011 at 6:17:20 am

If you are shooting at 24 frames per second you would double that to get the shutter speed to maintain the 180 degree shutter. That would be 1/48th of a second. Since dslrs don't have that shutter speed available 1/50th works fine. Here is a link to a great explanation of why this works: http://blog.tylerginter.com/?p=385

Also there is a good overall guide at http://www.nofilmschool.com

I currently use the steadicam merlin and I love it. Just make sure the use of a steadicam furthers the story you are telling. I use a combination of steadicam, tripod, monopod with fluid head, and slider to aid in my story telling.

Wider angle lenses also help to minimize the apearance of camera shake.

I hope that helps

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]