FORUMS: list search recent posts

to SLR or not to SLR - that is the question!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo Ratner
to SLR or not to SLR - that is the question!
on Jan 2, 2011 at 1:59:12 am

Let me start by saying you guys are extremely helpful. I've never written a post and usually read a lot about fcp but now it's the time when I'm really confused...

I've been using the Canon HV30 camcorder for the past few years and I absolutely loved working with it. I shot many great films, projects and shows with that little camcorder, which turned out to be a great investment ($700 at the time).

I'm now looking to purchase a more professional camera around $1500-$2000 that will give me:

1) Great HD quality footage - Are you still using tape? I noticed tape gives a much crisper image, while shooting with card "stained" the image, even in advanced cameras.

2) Easy to operate - I want to be able to control the camera easily, rack focus etc.

3) Lenses - I would like to try using different lenses with my new camera.

4) Sound Control - I want to be able to adjust the sound, and connect my NTG-2 Rode mic to the camera.

The biggest questions are: Should I get an SLR? Should I invest in something that is not SLR? Should I just buy a 35mm adapter for my HV30?

SLR

I shot a short film for Columbia University with the 7D and found the following problems:

1) Shooting time- the sensor gets hot after 12 minutes and shot down. If I shoot a show or an interview I can't let it happen...

2) No audio control - We had a soundman on set, but when he was away, I couldn't even monitor sound with the shotgun mic i connected to the camera.

3) Small nonadjustable monitor- we used an external monitor that was annoying to work with, especially in small spaces like restrooms where either or the director could see the image. This also connects to handheld - if I want to run around with the camera and improvise I can't get full control and move freely.

All in all - the SLR quality was simply fantastic, so it got me really confused...

If not SLR- what do you guys think about tape vs. cards?
I was disappointed over and over looking at $3,000 cams that compress the files and damage the quality.
What Canon model around the price range would be best?

Is there a Canon Camera that gives that great film quality around $2000? Whats the big fuss around the SLR vs. Other camcorders?
Should I maybe invest in a 35mm adapter for my HV30 or should I just put it under the bed and get a new one?

I read much about all this and spent an hour at B&H trying to figure out but I can't make a decision.

Thanks for reading my post and looking forward to hear from you,
Leo

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: to SLR or not to SLR - that is the question!
on Jan 2, 2011 at 2:44:00 am

You have a lot of errors in your thought process... as well as some misinformation.
I can't answer the ultimate question on spending money for you... but let me politely explain where you are misinformed.

[Leo Ratner] "1) Great HD quality footage - Are you still using tape? I noticed tape gives a much crisper image, while shooting with card "stained" the image, even in advanced cameras.
"

Tape vs. Card makes no real difference.. Codec does. Many tapes record lower quality than cards and vice versa. It's the format that matters.

[Leo Ratner] "2) Easy to operate - I want to be able to control the camera easily, rack focus etc.
"

Ain't nothin' easy... takes practice. Some find racking focus easier on DSLRs.... zoom not so much.

[Leo Ratner] "3) Lenses - I would like to try using different lenses with my new camera.
"

Well... then go for a DSLR. Unless you are spending about 10K+ don't expect removable lenses. Oh and removable video lenses are easily 5K plus. DSLR primes (used) $250.

[Leo Ratner] "4) Sound Control - I want to be able to adjust the sound, and connect my NTG-2 Rode mic to the camera.
"

Sound control? Use a mixer and real mics. But yes.. you can plug a RODE in as long as its mini plug or you use an adapter.

[Leo Ratner] "The biggest questions are: Should I get an SLR? Should I invest in something that is not SLR? Should I just buy a 35mm adapter for my HV30?
"

A 35mm adapter (which I doubt would work on that camera) will start around 2K before you even add lenses.

[Leo Ratner] "1) Shooting time- the sensor gets hot after 12 minutes and shot down. If I shoot a show or an interview I can't let it happen...
"

NOPE... you just hit the record limit for that camera. Here;s the secret.. tap stop and start in between questions... takes about 1 second to do. Smaller clips are better for media management... heck tapes never used to run over 20 minutes anyways. Learn to adapt.

[Leo Ratner] "2) No audio control - We had a soundman on set, but when he was away, I couldn't even monitor sound with the shotgun mic i connected to the camera.
"

Use a MIXER... a real audio person would... cameras at bet have twiddly little knobs and piss poor VU meters. Buy a mixer.

[Leo Ratner] "3) Small nonadjustable monitor- we used an external monitor that was annoying to work with, especially in small spaces like restrooms where either or the director could see the image. This also connects to handheld - if I want to run around with the camera and improvise I can't get full control and move freely.
"

Yup... which is why when shooting HD (even PRO cameras) use an external field monitor. If focus is critical... use an external monitor. If you insist on using the LCD, add a magnified viewfinder ($100-400).

[Leo Ratner] "s there a Canon Camera that gives that great film quality around $2000? Whats the big fuss around the SLR vs. Other camcorders?"

It's all about sensor size and quality of lenses... two things that SLR win hands down.

Before you spend thousands on gear.

1. Watch the Creative COW DSLR podcast
2. Pick up book/DVD "From Still to Motion" At $35 its a much better investment than on bad gear purchase.

These 2 things will teach you the strengths and limitations as well as how to get the most from DSLR cameras.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Anthony Bari Jr.
on Jan 4, 2011 at 2:24:50 pm

If you have shot with the 7D just once or twice, you are missing the experience.
DSLR cameras have many benefits :

Smaller and more mobile
Not intimidating to the public-catch more candid shots.
You have many audio solutions, even use separate audio and Jam sync in post.
Wide Array of Lens-Ultra Wide to Fisheye to Zoom
Easier to mount, many rigs and stabilizers available

I think Rich covered alot of the other stuff.

-Its a different way of thinking, so learning to adapt to it will help you learn the next of gen of prosumer cameras.

Good Luck.

*Production*Post-Production*
Apple Certified Instructor (Final Cut Pro 7)
"Semper Fi USMC"

Return to posts index

Mark Leach
on Jan 5, 2011 at 12:05:29 am

I went from Canon's HV20 now up to the Canon T2i and I am not looking back. Well maybe a little. Though there is a line in on the camera there is no audio out besides A/V cables and when ya plug those in the LCD on the back turns off. I use my Zoom H4 audio recorder for sound now and then run a line from that into my DSLR. Also another draw back and no smooth zooming anymore. I just don't use shots that I am zooming on now. I used to love a nice plan with a zoom but now its just the Plan or glide using a home made glide track.

If ya have any other questions just ask. We had basically the same DV cam so I am sure you had the same questions I did when I switched.

Mark
Videographer / Editor

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jan 6, 2011 at 8:05:33 pm

Hi Leo,

Listen to Richard, his advice is good. I was trained by a lecturer from Columbia University USA now in Australia. If you are any good as with the HV20/30/40 and you can produce pro projects, you will definitely up the anti with a Canon 5D mark II. We have been using two of these with 25-105 EF IS , 28-135 F 3.5 EF IS Lens, Fish-Eye for over 18 months for stills and video HD 1920 x 1080 p. No problems with the audio with Rode Stereo Mike, the proof is in the results either to pro tape or Blu-ray using Premiere Pro.

See low level demo re- Hong Kong, Taiwan , Korea. Work done in Egypt, Tibet, China and New Zealand no problems. http://www.stevendix.com/2009/

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]