FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timelapse from DSLR stills

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Ray
Timelapse from DSLR stills
on Feb 6, 2010 at 5:05:20 am

Hello,

I have 400 stills from my Canon 5D Mark II. I've imported them all into FCP, now the question is how to efficiently get all 400 into my timeline at 1 or 2 frames a piece. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner Brownlee
Re: Timelapse from DSLR stills
on Feb 6, 2010 at 10:05:41 am

FCP doesn't handle image sequences in an efficient way. You're best off converting this to a QT movie first. An easy way to do that is just in Quicktime Player:

i) File > Open Image Sequence
ii) File > Export - to desired codec (and resolution!)
iii) Bring it back into FCP and edit to your heart's content.

You can easily work with image sequences in Motion too, if you want to do a push or something special on your large images.

Hope that helps,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video
Training | Editing | Support
Out Now - Film Wash Color Effects Vol. 3
& Mocha training for AE & FCP

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Feb 6, 2010 at 11:57:13 am

If you buy Quicktime Pro for $30 and the image sequence are numbered sequentially, you just click on the first and last image and Quicktime will import the group. Then you can export the movie to FCP for editing.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner Brownlee
on Feb 6, 2010 at 12:04:42 pm

You'll already have the required Quicktime bundled as part of the Final Cut suite. So you've got all the tools you need.

Cheers,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Feb 6, 2010 at 6:42:20 pm

I find that importing the image into AE is MUCH easier. You can easily combine keyframes for zooms and pans and have precise control on rendered codec and frame rate.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Feb 10, 2010 at 5:22:09 pm

You can import image sequences into Motion as well, if you don't have AE.

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Brynn Sankey
on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:58:45 am

This is in fact very easy.

BEFORE importing your stills, open up the User Preferences dialog (Final Cut Pro>User Preferences...) and click on the "Editing" tab. At the very top left you will see "Still/Freeze Duration." Change the value to "00:00:00;01" and then import your images. Their default length upon import will be 1 frame, so then you can just "select all" and drop them on the timeline.

If you already imported your stills before making the above change in the Prefs, simply delete them from the browser, make the change and then re-import them.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Feb 11, 2010 at 8:34:17 am

Yes but sometimes impractiable!

I used to do this with animation sequences exported as numbered bitmap sequences, but every frame appears individually on the TL and more importantly it takes FCP forever to open as it checks whether every frame is online before opening!! Hopeless for animations of hundreds/thousands of frames

OK that was v4.5 but I assume the later versions do the same.

Alan

G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner Brownlee
on Feb 11, 2010 at 8:58:36 am

Yes, highly impractical with any length of timelapse. And if you haven't already downscaled your pictures then you leave yourself open to the vagaries of FCP scaling. Even with a nested composition, this would be my least favoured method. It's possible but I wouldn't do it.

Far better and easier to deal with a QT, as I wrote in my initial post. Whatever way you do that, Quicktime Player, Motion, or After Effects (if you have it) is up to you. As I and others have said, using Motion or AE allows you to do more with regards to camera movement too.

Cheers,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Feb 11, 2010 at 9:07:15 am

Ben, you obviously have both AE and Motion like me. Which would you choose to use for something like this and why?

Personally I prefer AE but often go to Motion for quick and nasty!

Alan

G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Ben Heusner Brownlee
on Feb 11, 2010 at 8:56:02 pm

Generally I do the same as you. After Effects mainly, Motion for a quick hit. Grain and grading tools are better in After Effects IMO. I do like the ease of sticking a quick Behaviour on a camera in Motion though!

Also, if it's something that's going to take a while to re-render, I will always render out a Quicktime even from Motion rather than just importing and using the Motion project directly on a FCP timeline. That way I can be sure that I can slice it and dice it any way I want without getting an unexpected red line pop up when FCP decides that I've done too much to one of its own render files.

Cheers,
Ben

Curious Turtle Pro Video

Return to posts index

Paul Ray
on Feb 11, 2010 at 10:35:21 pm

Thanks everyone.... It works!

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Feb 12, 2010 at 1:06:34 pm

Tell us what you did Paul. I have a D7 and D3s but haven't done any timelapse with them (yet!)

Alan

G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Paul Ray
on Feb 13, 2010 at 6:25:24 am

I did what Brynn suggested, changing my FCP settings to import the stills in at 1 frame in length each, and dropped them into my timeline. Then, I took a bit of Ben's advice, exporting the 400 frames as a Quicktime file, opening the file in Quicktime, then exporting it again with the settings I desired (Apple Pro Res. and size etc...). The next step for me is to learn how to use motion so I can do some slow pushes and pulls....

There is very likely an easier way to do this that requires less steps, but I took what I understood from above and made it work.

Thanks again everyone!

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Feb 12, 2010 at 1:05:00 pm

Yes I learnt that one as well Ben. I rarely put a motion project on an FCP TL.

Alan

G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]