FORUMS: list search recent posts

ISO in DSLRs and video cameras

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Simms
ISO in DSLRs and video cameras
on Dec 31, 2010 at 8:02:20 am

I love the fact that the ISO setting in the Canon DSLR's lets me shoot in video low light....but since I dont own one and need to borrow other cameras when I shoot I was wondering if anyone knows of any other digital videos cameras that have adjustable ISO settings.....at least to 800 or greater as I really like to shoot in twilight without much artificial lighting.....I know about using fast lenses....anything else that could help me in my quest for twilight?

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: ISO in DSLRs and video cameras
on Dec 31, 2010 at 10:09:14 am

Hi sean,

You may have a problem, the Canon 5D mark II has a cinema size 35mm sensor, that is a plus, the amount of light their 35mm lens lets in is impressive, the Sony at $5000 is very good but, i don't think it has HD 1920 x 1080p video.The magic is not only in the expandable ISO settings, but everything else ?

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Dec 31, 2010 at 8:37:29 pm

I am not sure I m following your question, but my advice is to go to BorrowLenses.com and rent a Canon T2i, 7D or 5D Mark II - problem solved.

If not having enough cash is the problem it would be easier if we knew which camera(s) you might be able to borrow from friends, associates etc. Bottom line I don't think there are a lot of options other than, artificial light or ISO adjustment, shutter speed is going to be more or less fixed depending upon your frame rate. You can boost up the shadows a bit in editing but that's not a solution you should really rely on.

Return to posts index

John Frey
on Dec 31, 2010 at 9:45:38 pm

When you say Digital Video Cameras, you could be referring to non-dslr type cameras. Top quality "regular" video cameras have adjustable "gain settings" to boost their signal electronically. Some of the really good "Broadcast" units (expensive)do a very good job at high gain settings with low noise. They, however, do not compare to DSLRs like the top Canons and Nikons in lowlight situations, especially in price. Advise - learn to light your subject!

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

Anthony Bari Jr.
on Jan 4, 2011 at 12:52:30 am

Try to stay as low as possible, but I wouldn't surpass 1600 ISO.
Yes, you can see in the dark but its just not worth it.
If it looks ok in the LCD wait till you import it.

*Production*Post-Production*
Apple Certified Instructor (Final Cut Pro 7)
"Semper Fi USMC"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]