FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon / Nikon DSLRs vs Panasonic 100

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Maslin
Canon / Nikon DSLRs vs Panasonic 100
on Dec 28, 2010 at 6:53:33 pm

I'm an industry vet with several tape-based 2/3" and 1/3" SD and HD cameras. I'm ready to jump into the solid state camera world, and need to spend some money by 12/31. I've done some research, and have had my hands on Canon DSLRs. I'm interested in opinions on the new Panasonic 100, and also what make of lenses offer the best quality at the most competitive price.

Thanks - Happy Holidays to you all.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Canon / Nikon DSLRs vs Panasonic 100
on Dec 28, 2010 at 7:04:19 pm

How about the fact that the Panasonic camera is a VIDEO camera, with all the professional things you expect a video camera to have? XLR inputs, audio monitoring, level controls, VU meters, ND filters, professional video outputs like SDI, Component and composite...

DSLRs are still cameras that shoot video. Still camera form factor.

Given the choice, I'd go with the Panasonic, any day of the week.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Dec 28, 2010 at 8:26:36 pm

What Shane said.

With DHSLR you'll need extra lenses, each with a maximum zoom range probably of only 3.1, which means regular lens changes on a shoot.

If you want quality audio you'll also need a recorder to record dual system sound.

All this extra equipment rapidly increases your budget.

You'll be restricted in video shot duration.

This also means a vastly more complex and time consuming work flow in production and post production.

Shooting with HDSLRs is very similar to the work flow of a film production, if you don't have the experience, time or patience you'll find it a hassle, and the only really significant benefit you'll see in the end product is the shallow depth of field factor.

Having said that every client I work with would now prefer to shoot with my HDSLR system - unless recording something like an seminar or long presentation when we can't stop the camera roll.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Chip Thome
on Dec 29, 2010 at 1:22:06 am

It sounds like you and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I bought Panasonic GH1s and am waiting on my GH2s to be delivered. I am NOT looking at the AF100 for EVERY reason you should be. It is way PAST my level of experience, where what I am using is way BENEATH yours. I came to GH1s from a very limited knowledge of video. Although it was very limited, I quickly found some options I was used to, missing in a DSLR. Now if I can find missing attributes I wish were there, imagine what YOU would find in a heartbeat !!!

Return to posts index

Anthony Bari Jr.
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:49:28 am

The AF100 looks very intriguing, its a smaller sensor than the Canon products.
Still a great range of Lenses to use and less focus issues, with smaller sensors.
The body of a Camcorder with similar Lenses, that what a lot of people want.

Wait till the first batch of people play around. or Rent.

Nikon.....still not up to par. Canon is still on Top. Wait till April, see if anything interesting comes.

*Production*Post-Production*
Apple Certified Instructor (Final Cut Pro 7)
"Semper Fi USMC"

Return to posts index

Bryan Maslin
on Jan 4, 2011 at 10:56:19 pm

All good information - thanks everyone. I bought the 100 - but won't get it for a month, it's so popular.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]