FORUMS: list search recent posts

GH2 MacBeth & grayscale "Film Mode" video clips

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter J. DeCrescenzo
GH2 MacBeth & grayscale "Film Mode" video clips
on Dec 28, 2010 at 6:13:35 pm

I've posted a series of ~10-sec. video clips showing grayscale & MacBeth charts depicting each of my GH2's so-called "Film Modes" (color profiles). There are ten clips, numbered 20-29.

In addition to the highly-compressed versions for viewing in your web browser, Vimeo members (free) can download the camera-original versions of the clips. I rewrapped the camera-original AVCHD .MTS files to QuickTime .MOV file without recompression so more people can use them.

I hope these are useful. Compare, contrast, discuss. No conclusions from me yet. Cheers.

Tech details are on the Vimeo pages, but to summarize:

Exposure was set using the GH2's "REC HIGHLIGHT" feature which has been shown to indicate white clipping at 100 IRE. The whites chips & cards on the charts where set _once_ (and once only) at or just slightly below 100 IRE while the camera was in STANDARD Film Mode. ISO was set at 320, and the Lumix 20mm lens was set at f2.0. Shutter 1/60th.

1080p24 "24H" progressive. Full manual mode, including the GH2's "iDynamic" & "iResolution" both OFF.

The camera was white balanced while in STANDARD Film Mode. Once set, this one WB setting was used for all the clips. Lighting was 4 tungsten bulbs through diffusion.

In these clips, all of the Film Mode sub-settings (contrast, sharpness, color & noise reduction) have been set to their lowest values (-2). These same -2 values were used for all the tests.

Any changes in exposure or color among these video clips is the result of switching among the GH2's Film Modes. No other changes were made to the camera settings between clips.

Standard:

Cinema:

Dynamic:

Smooth:

Nature:

Nostalgic:

Vibrant:

Standard B&W:

Dynamic B&W:

Smooth B&W:

---

http://www.peterdv.com