FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Lenses for 7D - Nikons, Canons, Zeiss

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregg Goodwin
Best Lenses for 7D - Nikons, Canons, Zeiss
on Feb 5, 2010 at 11:31:22 pm

Trying to figure out the best lenses to use with my 7D. I've got a decent set of Nikons, mostly the AF lenses and the Fotodiox adapter which works OK, but I'm wondering if I should buy some Canons to dedicate for use with this camera or save up and buy some Zeiss with the manual focus and exposure ring. Any thought?

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: Best Lenses for 7D - Nikons, Canons, Zeiss
on Feb 6, 2010 at 2:00:01 am

Can't go wrong with any Canon L series glass - my fav is the 70-200 2.8 IS - very cinematic!

We rented a couple of Zeiss primes for our last shoot and they are great also - really nice look and excellent "feel" on the camera as far as focusing etc - very pro.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Feb 6, 2010 at 11:54:03 am

I have the Canon 50mm f1.4 and like it a lot, super sharp and fast. It's a great lens to give some level of automation to filmmaking, such as exposure and good value.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Pat Smith
on Feb 6, 2010 at 5:26:56 pm

I have a set of old Nikkor Primes that look and work beautifully. they all have the same saturation, contrast and color characteristics. They do focus backwards from canon and everybody else. They have aperture rings you can grab hold of and silky smooth focusing.

I'm using $20.00 fotodiox adapters with no issues. I did use blue loctite to snug the adapters to the lenses because there was play between the two. There is no play between the camera and the mounts. I heard that the newer wide angles had critical focus issues up close but I'm using a 28mm f2.8 ais nikkor (newest made) wide open with no issues.

In addition to the 28, I also have a 50 1.8 ais nikkor, an older 55 micro- non ais (last version) nikkor, and a 100 2.8 nikon series E. I think I have less than $500.00 in the set and the 28 and the 50 are considered two of Nikons sharpest lenses. Even the 28 at 2.8 makes a nice soft background when used for chest up head shots.

For the jib and big wides I have a sharp Tokina 12-24 f4 that is heavily built with a neat clutch on the focusing ring to switch from manual to auto. It focuses backwards from the nikkors and doesn't have an aperture ring. I also have some left over canon lenses including 3 primes, but I use the Nikons for video.

Return to posts index

Errol Lazare
on Feb 6, 2010 at 9:04:34 pm

For a great wide angle lens for the 7d I would recommend looking into the Tokina 11-16mm. A great lens at a very affordable price.

BH is selling it for about $600 US

Link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554036-REG/Tokina_ATX116PRODXN_11_16m...

Let me know how it works for you.

Errol X. Lazare
EXL Films
http://www.exlfilms.com

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Feb 7, 2010 at 8:22:48 pm

Can't go wrong with an older set of Nikon Primes especially since the older ones have manual aperture which is super nice so you can do splits.

The other thing that a lot of folks are doing with these other older nikons (and other primes) is converting them to a cinema style lens. When you do that you get much improved focus dampening. Also the aperture rings can be de-clicked and you can get a follow focus gear press fit on the lens. If you really really are bothered by the reverse direction of the focus gearing on those nikon lenses you can also convert the direction in which the ring operates but keep in mind this extremely expensive as the entire lens has to be taken apart and many of the companies doing those conversions don't offer awesome warranties for that.

In my kit I've been carrying the following lenses - to combo as photo and video lenses. Would love to pick up a set of Cook Primes and a PL adapter but alas I haven't won the lottery!

Canon 70-200mm f/4 L IS - i find it to be shaper then the 2.8 and of course much lighter (and yes I've owned the 2.8)

Canon 100mm 2.8 IS L Macro - awesome lens! Great for both macro video and photo work and doubles as tack sharp portrait lens

Canon 35mm 1.4 - great walk around lens nice and about a 50mm on a 7D, super fast for nice bokeh on photos and great for video too. I've found it wide open though (like other fast lenses) hard to hit focus in video. When shooting video with it I'll stop down to 2 - 2.8

Canon 50mm 1.2 - I just got this lens and its amazing. If your a DOF and bokeh junkie nothing better in my opinion - great for video portrait work on 7D but again must be stopped down to get good and reliable focus.

Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 love this little lens - no IS and not quite as sharp as the 17-55 EFS canon lens but much cheaper and still produces great results.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Gregg Goodwin
on Feb 7, 2010 at 8:54:02 pm

thanks for all of the great feedback! I thought I read somewhere that you can't use PL-mount lenses with the 7D because it protrudes too far into the camera, plus there aren't any good PL to Canon adapters? maybe I misunderstood. I did order the Canon 28 - 70 2.8 and the Canon 50 1.4 today and plan on using my Nikon 70 - 200 2.8 with the Fotodiox adapter, considering some of your other suggestions for furthur purchases. I'm also ordering some of the lensgears from Redrock Micro to work with my Chrosziel follow focus and step-up rings so I can use my 4X4 mattebox.

GOODWINHD.COM

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Feb 7, 2010 at 10:51:46 pm

well those crazy guys at the syndicate are machining them now and already in prototype. We'll see if its pans out but you can check it here

http://www.syndicate.se/Default.aspx?Id=294

Also incase you really want to drool check out a panavision on a 7D

http://philipbloom.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/27106170-36049dc55b6d19...

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

cowcow
Norman Pogson
on Feb 8, 2010 at 2:57:26 pm

I'm using old Nikkor lenses on my 7D, it's interesting that some of these lenses were a bit soft for still images, such as my Nikkor 200mm f4, but on video it has a whole new lease on life and looks great, I guess a bit of softness goes a long way!

I have the Nikkor AI 24mm f2.8, 75-150 f3.5 E series (screaming sharp), this lens used is very cheap, Nikkor AI 200mm f4 and a Nikkor 50mm f2 but I use the new Canon 50mm f1.4 I bought with the 7D. The Ebay adapter has been a lifesaver for me to use this old glass which were just sitting in a drawer.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Paul Kim
on Feb 27, 2010 at 6:52:47 am

We both like the same kind of lenses, Robbie. I'm in love with my 50mm 1.2, it's phenomenal, and on a 7D it makes an amazing lens for filming faces. I've done some interviews with it at 1.2, pretty crazy, but I managed to keep it all sharp except for one instance.

The next couple lenses I'd like to get is the 24-105 F4 L for doc work (need the zoom range, though wish it were a 2.8, and 24-70 doesn't feel like enough), and also the 70-200 IS. However, I was interested to note on the 70-200 you like the F4 better than the 2.8 due to its sharpness and size. You haven't been missing the speed of the 2.8, no? Would love to hear more of your thoughts on comparing the two. After all, I'd be thrilled to save a decent chunk of change, too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]