FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing 4 DSLR's - record timecode?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vasik Greif
Syncing 4 DSLR's - record timecode?
on Dec 20, 2010 at 10:46:10 pm

Hi, I'm planning to do a music promo video, and I'm propably going to use 4 DSLR cameras - mix of 5D's and 7D's. I really would like to prepare things the best way I can, which I think would be recording timecode to be able to sync the cameras more easily later. Could you recommend me a workflow how to do that? Or is there some other, more convenient way to prepare the footage for editing later? I have option to edit both in Premiere CS5 on Win and Final Cut Studio 3 on Mac...
Thanks

http://vasik.net

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Syncing 4 DSLR's - record timecode?
on Dec 20, 2010 at 11:49:18 pm

No such thing as timecode with DSLR

Software side is Plural Eyes.

Production workflow covered in book/DVD From Still to Motion

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Dec 21, 2010 at 3:51:26 am

The cameras don't record timecode.

A good option might be to use PluralEyes or DualEyes from singular software to sync the cameras and your master audio track using the audio track waveform.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Dec 22, 2010 at 7:37:43 am

If you don't have, or don't want to invest in third party software for syncing, there's a little trick I used quite a couple of times in music videos:
Prepare the playback track with two or three sound-beeps, before the music starts.
In your NLE you can easily sync the different waveforms of each camera by eye with those "sound events".

For workflow I would recommend the multi camera mode. In Premiere it is limited to four cameras.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Dec 23, 2010 at 5:28:14 pm

Or as Paulo has suggested in the past, use a JavaScript timecode generator to display timecode on a monitor, have all cameramen start recording by shooting the monitor first and don't interrupt recording. Sync the timecode at the head on all angles and you're good to go.

Return to posts index

Anthony Bari Jr.
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:17:02 am

Jam Sync in post, you can use Pluraleyes if you want to use the multiclip workflow, make sure to shoot in the same framerate across the board.

*Production*Post-Production*
Apple Certified Instructor (Final Cut Pro 7)
"Semper Fi USMC"

Return to posts index

Johan Maertens
on Feb 23, 2011 at 1:12:39 pm

If you already have a continuous LTC SMPTE timecode source you can actually use timecode on dslr cameras...

http://www.lockitbuddy.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]