FORUMS: list search recent posts

View finder for canon 7D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rob grant
View finder for canon 7D
on Dec 16, 2010 at 4:04:52 pm

Just got my 7D, Had to upgrade from my XL2, looking for a good view finder. Is zacuto the way to go. New to DSLR Video. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Declan Smith
Re: View finder for canon 7D
on Dec 16, 2010 at 8:39:21 pm

Alot of people speak highly of the Zacuto viewfinder, but to be honest, I have had mixed results. It does help with stablization by making another contact point but mostly I find the naked LCD much easier and sharper to focus, but I suggest you see if you can try one out first.

There is talk of an EVF coming out for DSLRs which looks very interesting: http://urbanfoxtv.blogspot.com/2010/12/worlds-first-hd-dslr-evf-ships.html

Declan Smith
http://www.madpanic.tv
FCS3 / After Effects CS5 / Combustion / Canon 7D / Canon XL2

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Dec 17, 2010 at 4:03:47 am

find the viewfinders quite useful and they greatly improve the ergonomics of the camera.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Jim Harvey
on Dec 19, 2010 at 4:14:15 pm

I currently have a 5D MKII and a 7D and was also looking for a good external finder for each of those cameras. I came across a unit from Indi Pro Tools (http://www.indiprotools.com)that filled the bill quite nicely. The unit is very well made and easy to employ. Adding the viewfinder changed the entire process of image acquisition (for the better) and kicked the camera up another notch. Plus, it didn't break the bank.

Return to posts index

rob grant
on Dec 20, 2010 at 3:42:01 pm

Thanks for the info, Jim i just ordered the viewfinder you recommended. Will let you know, Also a fan of your Sony Vegas reviews. I also found out that i must get a shoulder mount rig for the 7d, totally different way of shooting than im used to. But the picture is great.

Return to posts index

Jim Harvey
on Dec 20, 2010 at 3:54:26 pm

Hello Rob.

Thank you for the kind words. I really enjoy writing for the Cow. Unlike other forums, I'm not "told" what I can write and because of that policy, you can be assured that every review you read here from every writer, is the unvarnished truth with no pressure from outside entities.

I think that you will be pleasantly surprised with the finder. I know that I was. What's funny is that it seems that everyone is now making the switch to the 7D from the 5D. I think it's a combination of reasons. Economy,the 7D is less expensive and returns an image that is virtually impossible to distinguish from the 5D, and versatility. The 7D can also be used for sports with its higher burst mode. All in all, either camera is an excellent tool and we're just scratching the surface.

For a shoulder rig, you now have a multitude of choices. Just a year or so ago, you were locked into only a couple of rather expensive units. Now there are a lot of players in the game which is a good thing for the consumer.

Return to posts index

rob grant
on Dec 31, 2010 at 1:25:57 pm

Hi Jim

Just got the Indipro VF Prime Viewfinder in the mail, works good and makes my 7D look, and feel more like video/film camera. I also got the Switronix, HDV Camera Shoulder support. My 7D is coming along well. still getting used to it, Great camera, so Jim, the new Sony Vegas 10 is coming out, are you going to review it. Well Thanks for all of your help, and looking forward to talking to you.

Return to posts index

John Novotny
on Feb 21, 2011 at 9:56:31 pm

Rob how do you like your VF prime? It looks exactly like the Zacuto VF.

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Feb 22, 2011 at 12:21:32 am

Looks like a total knockoff down to the exact molding. I suspect they won't be around long.

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Anthony Bari Jr.
on Jan 8, 2011 at 12:47:38 am

Zacuto is pricey, but the Zfinder is nice. 3X is overkill for me. I have the 2.5, and it comes with some extender frames, use them. Letus has one too, Looks like its built stronger(carbon fiber)

you should check this article out.
http://philhoyt.com/zacuto-vs-letus

If you are using some DSLR Rigs, have the VF is another point of contact to the body for steady video.
Within the next few months most 3rd party vendors are making EVF, like Redrock, Zacuto.
So you may want to hold out for those, but they start around $600-$700

*Production*Post-Production*
Apple Certified Instructor (Final Cut Pro 7)
"Semper Fi USMC"

Return to posts index

john charles
on Apr 17, 2011 at 12:37:58 pm

I am a newbie at this dslr game. The 7D is priced right, But the accessories are over priced, for a low budget film maker "Short films" I bought the VF prime viewfinder

and Jag 35 rig

. They both work very well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]