FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tip: add sharpness back in!

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Richard van den Boogaard
Tip: add sharpness back in!
on Dec 15, 2010 at 10:29:29 pm

Hi,

Recently, I got a great tip from another DSLR shooter, which I want you guys to take advantage of as well: add a sharpness effect back into the footage in your NLE.

Many of us DSLR shooters choose to shoot with a flat profile in-camera. Among other settings this involves turning the sharpness all the way down (I have it set at -4 notches on the Canons). The result of course, is a flat profile which makes sure all shades of grey get recorded. This gives much more leeway in post with color grading.

However, I never thought of adding a bit of sharpness back in. Turns out this makes a huge difference in how your final output looks!

I edit on PPro CS5, so the sharpness can be found in the Video Effects. I use setttings per clip varying between 20 and 50 - and it works beautifully!

Try it, you'll like it!

Richard van den Boogaard
Freelance cameraman • Glidecam Operator • Editor • YouTube expert

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: Tip: add sharpness back in!
on Dec 15, 2010 at 10:43:35 pm

Thanks, Richard! Will try it!

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Dec 15, 2010 at 11:20:24 pm

I just wrapped up grading a feature shot entirely on 7Ds last week and agree with this. Just a touch will do it because nothing is uglier in my opinion then a overly sharpened video. Another thing that I would add is doing a touch of denoising always helps too.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Dec 15, 2010 at 11:57:11 pm

Never did sharpening in video before.
Tested it right now and - wow - really gives a punch! Thanks again Phil! And thanks Robbie for the denoising tip!
Fooled around a bit with the "unsharp mask" filter that I use a lot in Photoshop. And for my taste it produces even better results, because you have more control over the amount of sharpening and what is to be sharpend.

Return to posts index

John Frey
on Dec 16, 2010 at 1:46:42 am

I have been adding, depending on the footage, the default setting for unsharp mask, in either Premier or Vegas via FX since their early versions. It is that little extra that can make a difference in the final render. But before adding it to you entire project, test it on one of your clips and play it out to your "god monitor". Too much will end up looking cartoonish!

John D. Frey
25 Year owner/operator of two California-based production studios.

Digital West Video Productions of San Luis Obispo and Inland Images of Lake Elsinore

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
on Dec 16, 2010 at 3:57:28 pm

Who's Phil? ;-)

Richard van den Boogaard
Freelance cameraman • Glidecam Operator • Editor • YouTube expert

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Dec 21, 2010 at 10:15:56 pm

Phil is probably Philip Bloom, of http://www.philipbloom.net.

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
on Dec 22, 2010 at 8:50:58 am

Sorry, Richard!

Just became aware of my mistake! Had a conversation with a "Phil" in another forum! And mixed up the names. Have to check, if I called him Richard...

Sorry, again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]