FORUMS: list search recent posts

7D - saving ISO settings

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lars Wikstrom
7D - saving ISO settings
on Feb 5, 2010 at 9:56:58 am

Wondering if anyone knew how to save iso settings, if it is possible. I got the 7D last week and had a video shoot with it last night. The biggest problem when I was shooting an event was when the camera went in to a sleep mode it losses it's ISO setting. I might be in a low light area and set it to 4000. then when I wake it up it defaulted down to 200 again. Then I had to try to remember on the fly what it was set at.

Is there a way to have it save it's ISO setting when it goes into sleep mode?

Thanks!

-Lars

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
Re: 7D - saving ISO settings
on Feb 5, 2010 at 3:15:18 pm

I set my 7D up from Tylers tutorial here http://www.vimeo.com/7622493

My Canon 7D Blog

This will let you save your settings as a custom setting on the cameras dial, so whenever you select custom setting 2 the iso etc will be loaded automatically.

Return to posts index

Lars Wikstrom
on Feb 5, 2010 at 6:57:45 pm

Thanks for the reply. I watched the video and I had set up my 7D very close to what they had recommended. He did not mention if it was possible to have the camera remember the last ISO setting when it powers up from sleep mode.

Thanks though!

-Lars

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Feb 5, 2010 at 7:07:49 pm

No I tested it with my preset, which I have set to 200iso, while the camera was on I selected 1600iso, I let the camera switch off automatically "hibernate" and then pressed the start/stop button to wake the 7D up (I was in video mode), the camera woke up and the default iso was there at 200.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Lars Wikstrom
on Feb 7, 2010 at 7:19:43 am

Ya, same thing. I guess the only thing to do is to adjust the amount of time must pass before it goes into standby mode. I hope this can be adjusted in the future.

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Feb 7, 2010 at 8:24:31 pm

hmmm what mode are you guys in? - I have not had the camera default back to an ISO I haven't adjusted when falling a sleep

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Lars Wikstrom
on Feb 7, 2010 at 10:08:30 pm

Not sure exactly what you mean by mode. But I am in FILM mode to shot video. When I set the camera up I selected the MANUAL mode and save that out as C3 setting.

What is the trick to have the camera remember the ISO setting and not defaulting back to 200?

-Lars

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Feb 7, 2010 at 10:56:13 pm

I'm sorry I should have been more clear by shooting mode I meant manual , aperture priority etc

I think I know your problem - but will test this when I get back in front of my camera. Using custom modes I'm pretty sure the camera saves everything about that particular setup, shutter, aperture, iso picture style etc. So it wouldn't surprise me when the camera is turned off or goes off automatically that it resets to whatever the custom is set to.

This may have happened to me I've just never noticed, as I often just leave in manual for video but use customs for photos

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Lars Wikstrom
on Feb 7, 2010 at 11:33:12 pm

You know... It would not be such a big deal but when I am shooting in a dark restaurant running around I forget what ISO setting is was and then I have to spend the time trying to eyeball it to get it right again which takes time.

-Lars

Return to posts index

Norman Pogson
on Feb 8, 2010 at 3:03:39 pm

Hi Lars,

I have tested again, in full manual mode I selected iso 1250 while in video mode, the camera went to sleep I woke it up with half pressing the shutter release and it woke up to the same iso 1250. So in custom preset, it will always default to the saved iso, in manual mode it will wake up to whatever you set it too.

My Canon 7D Blog

Return to posts index

Lars Wikstrom
on Feb 8, 2010 at 6:00:46 pm

Wow... That is so weird. When I saved my custom settings I first went to manual and customized the settings there to what I wanted. Then I saved it to C3. I would think that it would have also saved the ISO settings from manual mode, I guess not.

Thanks for checking!

-Lars

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Feb 8, 2010 at 11:02:19 pm

[Norman Pogson] "So in custom preset, it will always default to the saved iso, in manual mode it will wake up to whatever you set it too. "

yep thats what I was saying in my last post in this thread

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
From Still To Motion

Return to posts index

Lars Wikstrom
on Feb 9, 2010 at 8:23:54 am

It seems that if you select Manual as the default that you manipulate the settings and then save it as one of your custom C1-3 settings that it would retain that feature.

lame. Canon has to fix that.

-Lars

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]