FORUMS: list search recent posts

Film look quality on Canon 7D

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arash Sadeghian
Film look quality on Canon 7D
on Dec 11, 2010 at 3:27:31 pm

Hello

I'v just got my canon7D, now i need to know what are the best settings to get the most film look quality on the camera? by the way i'm using canon lens 18-135 mm

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
Re: Film look quality on Canon 7D
on Dec 11, 2010 at 6:51:55 pm

If you are willing to spend some time in post color grading then you can try:

* contrast all the way down,
* sharpness all the way down,
* saturation down two ticks

Also research high tone priority - I turn mine off.

When you first look at the clips in your browser they will look ok-ish but rather flat which is the point. A flat image gives you the most flexibility in customizing your colors and look when editing....otherwise try downloading some of the available picture styles for 7D and seeing which ones you like best...less work but you are "baking in" certain color values that will be harder to adjust in editing, but if you like the look as is, no problem!

Return to posts index

Joshua MacFall
on Dec 11, 2010 at 9:44:11 pm

I agree with Steve! You'll get a lot out of color grading. Desaturation is VERY important!! :) You can get even closer to a film look by pulling your mid tones to blue or green. You can also slightly bring your blacks towards blue or green as well!

If you're not familiar with color grading software, then you can do some basic color grading right in your editing software by finding your 3 way color corrector. I suggest to shoot with the proper white balance settings at all times so that you never have to adjust it in post. The more you play with your colors in post the more quality degradation you may see.

I also recommend the 50mm lens when you're ready to spend some more money! It has been the best purchase we've made regarding the camera itself.

Happy coloring!!! Would love to see some of your work!

God Bless,

Joshua MacFall

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 11, 2010 at 10:39:28 pm

[Arash Sadeghian] "most film look quality"

Which film look are you after, there are 100s of looks? But like the others have said quality is not a setting but done in post.

Return to posts index

Arthur Lunn
on Dec 12, 2010 at 1:15:18 am

If you want a film look, it is pretty much a given that you need to get post color-grading software such as magic bullet that will replicate the warmth that you get on film (although not 100%)

The one thing that stands out in terms of getting that film look, more than anything else is the shallow DOF, and a 50mm lens will do that nicely. It is hard to get shallow DOF on a zoom lens and you would need to leave the aperture wide open and dial down the ISO to compensate. Also keep the shutter speed as low as you can to avoid that strobing look (in favor of blurring).

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 12, 2010 at 7:28:27 am

23.976fps with 2 way tinting like red giant mojo or contrasting highlight/shadow tinting or technicolor or purposefully offsetting the white balance. You'd be surprised how many movies are simply an offset white balance.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Ryan Orr
on Dec 14, 2010 at 2:16:41 pm

While I agree that color grading is a nice chunk of the "film look", there are some fundamental settings and practices that are absolutely essential for the film look as well.

Typically, film is 24p. Your Canon 7D does 23.976p, which is certainly close enough. Also, the 180 degree rule is typically the standard shutter setting. Whatever fps you are shooting, double it, and that's the shutter speed you should be aiming for. For instance, you're shooting a scene at 24fps...double that, and your shutter speed would be 1/48. With these cameras though, you can't dial that specific shutter speed in, so just go to the shutter speed that's the closes, which I believe is 1/50 for the 7D.

Camera moves are also important to get that film look. Classic and traditional cinematography veered away from "zooming" while shooting. In fact, they used prime lenses, which don't do zooms. So if you need to get closer to your subject, you just moved in closer with your camera, or you changed your lens. To do it mid shot, they used nice camera stabilizing rigs, like Steadycams, or dollys, or jibs/cranes.

And that's just the beginning...there are plenty of other things that get your shots to look more film like. As others have mentioned, there are things you can do in post that help too.

Good luck,
Ryan

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 14, 2010 at 8:27:40 pm

2 words, bourne identity! zoom, shake, jump into windows, cut to random camera angle, zero shutter,. The only rule is 24fps in my humble opinion.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Arash Sadeghian
on Dec 21, 2010 at 6:36:33 pm

Thank you all for your great suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]