FORUMS: list search recent posts

SLR d500

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dannunzio
SLR d500
on Dec 9, 2010 at 2:25:26 pm

Hello,

I just purchased a Nikon D5000. All of the video settings are set for me to shoot 720P. If I want to edit the HD footage in my PC, how do I transfer the footage so it stays in it's native HD format? Does it transfer over the USB? Or do I need to purchase a HDMI to go out from the D5000 into my computer?

Much appreciated
Mark

Mark Dannunzio

Return to posts index

Micah McDowell
Re: SLR d500
on Dec 9, 2010 at 4:45:27 pm

Yes, you transfer the files over USB (or take the card out of the camera and use a dedicated card reader... they're usually faster).

There would be no benefit to capturing files you've already shot to the memory card via HDMI. Unless, you record the uncompressed HDMI signal to a higher-bitrate device or capture card live while you shoot; you might gain a bit of quality that way. You should check if the D5000 even outputs via HDMI at full-res with no display overlays while shooting live; even if Nikon says it does, it may not be the full HD signal. I'm a Canon guy as of late so couldn't tell you.

Return to posts index

Mark Dannunzio
on Dec 9, 2010 at 5:19:19 pm

That's what I thought, must be my computer then. The video looks horrible! Def. not HD. Quicktime will play HD video without going Pro correct?

Thanks
Mark

Mark Dannunzio

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 10, 2010 at 3:43:40 pm

Just copy the media into a folder on your computer. If you are using Premier, you can import the media as is and edit away. Make sure you copy all of the card folders, as some have important data that support the media.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1, V1U
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index