FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using a Canon 5D with a HVX200...part 2

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Using a Canon 5D with a HVX200...part 2
on Dec 8, 2010 at 8:32:13 pm

In early November I posted a question about would it be hard to match up footage from a HVX200 with a Canon 5D Mark II. Well a couple weeks ago we used the Canon 5D for about 99% of the music video and used the HVX200 for 1%. Long story short, one of the camera ops was using it to shoot behind the scenes footage and we ended up needing to run a scene while the Canon's batteries were charging. Now I am in post production and the Canon footage looks awesome! The HVX200 was set to 1080p but the shots that have motion or quick movement, I am seeing interlaced lines. Even with my playhead in Final Cut Pro is paused on one of those shots, you can clearly see the lines. So should I use a de-interlacing filter to try and smooth them out? Like I said we only used the HVX to run one scene which involved some dancing and a quick performance shot by the artist so its not a lot but I want to make the video clean all the way through. Other than that it doesn't look to bad.

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Using a Canon 5D with a HVX200...part 2
on Dec 8, 2010 at 11:17:28 pm

The Canon DSLR shoots true progressive, both at 1080 and 720...24p and 30p. The HVX-200 at 1080 shoots progressive in an interlaced format...you have to remove the pulldown if you want true progressive.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 8, 2010 at 11:23:00 pm

Well actually it depends- the HVX200 can shoot 1080/24p native if setup that way.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 8, 2010 at 11:24:12 pm

[Noah Kadner] "the HVX200 can shoot 1080/24p native if setup that way."

It doesn't have an N mode at 1080...it has an A mode...Advanced Pulldown Removal. AFAIK, the N mode is only at 720p. Am I wrong?

Shane

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 9, 2010 at 12:02:58 am

Oops- yeah I misread your post. Meant the same thing. 1080/24pA with pulldown to remove in post...

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Dec 9, 2010 at 12:51:27 am

pulldown BEFORE you edit!!! or your grandkids will have pains.

"hard to match up footage from a HVX200 with a Canon 5D Mark II" you betcha! If you don't know what color space for the 5D(sRGB or Adobe) or the HVX200.

Did you write this stuff down before shooting?

color spaces:?
NORM(SMPTE 274M Color Space)
ENRICHED <
FLURO

gamma:?
CINE-LIKE D:
CINE-LIKE V: (gamma HD)

and why should you care? because cine modes have to be exposued 1/4 under(flat) and gamma can be SD/HD knees)

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Dec 9, 2010 at 4:47:21 am

Since I already begun editing can I open a new sequence and drop the P2 clips there and removed the pulldown on those clips and then add them back to my edited sequence?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 9, 2010 at 4:50:40 am

Pulldown needs to be removed either when you ingest or after, using Cinema Tools.

FCP doesn't remove pulldown after (well, there is an option WITHIN FCP to use Cinema Tools).

Shane

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Dec 10, 2010 at 3:23:55 am

@Shane, I just realized who you were! I have a few of your tutorial podcasts on my ipod!!! LOL! Thanks for the reply!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]