FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does 5D + Magic lantern + Juicedlink pre-amp = audio capture success?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Cicon
Does 5D + Magic lantern + Juicedlink pre-amp = audio capture success?
on Dec 1, 2010 at 8:32:31 pm

Hi Everyone,
With my H4N I get great sound. But Plural eyes really only helps once you've identified the parallel/corresponding video track. There remains the very time consuming task of identifying and pairing all of the audio/video tracks. I would love to go return to the spoiled luxury of video production where everything is imported together. In an attempt to simplify the editing process of syncing sound to video I am considering doing the following.

Connecting my mics to the Juicedlink pre-amp, then directly into my 5D after installing the newest 2.0.8 Magic Lantern update. As many of you know, the magic lantern update claims to remove the noisy background caused by the Canon implemented AGC. In combination with disabling the AGC, and the much touted noise reduction native to the juicedlink pre-amp, would we agree this would be an adequate way to capture high quality sound without negligible reduction of nuance from the input signal?

On set, I would still send a signal to my H4N as a back-up, but I would so dearly love to pass the tedium of separate mediums. (sorry for the rhyme).

I will also post this question on the appropriate audio forum to cover my bases.

Respectfully, and thankfully.
Jared Cicon

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
Re: Does 5D + Magic lantern + Juicedlink pre-amp = audio capture success?
on Dec 1, 2010 at 10:41:50 pm

[Jared Cicon] "would we agree this would be an adequate way to capture high quality sound"

Short answer - yes. Long answer..."adequate way" and "high quality sound" yields two different responses. If you ask any audio engineer, they will tell you the audio from DSLR's is, well, troubled. You ask an editor (or someone like yourself) who has to piece together all the separate audio and video and they will say it is adequate.

We have captured many, many interviews with the 5D, no Magic Lantern, and JuicedLink and have had good results. Just turn off the AGC in camera.

Last suggestion is to run some tests and see if you like the quality of the audio. I have a JuicedLink if you would like to run some tests. Send me an email and we can talk.

Ed

Avid and FCP Preditor

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Dec 1, 2010 at 10:54:15 pm

[Ed Cilley] " If you ask any audio engineer"
NO! Never ask an audio engineer any question about audio. If fact treat them like they have the plague. :-)

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Dec 1, 2010 at 11:38:35 pm

That's funny. I was unaware there was a pandora's box phenomena relative to sound engineers. Ha ha ha.

Return to posts index

Jared Cicon
on Dec 1, 2010 at 11:14:02 pm

Hi Ed,
Thanks for responding to my info vacuum.
RE:5D + ML
One of the features Magic Lantern offers that interests me is turning the 1/8th" A/V out into a headphone jack. On location in the field I really want to hear what the 5D is hearing and not necessarily through a headphone jack of a mixer.

Also, Ty (fellow CC peer), suggested I look into the 302 Compact Production Field Mixer (302 Compact Production Field Mixer) as opposed to the JuicedLink. Any thoughts on this?
Jared

Return to posts index

Theo Dubeux
on Dec 2, 2010 at 1:49:04 am

Well, I believe audio engineers would endorse this Sound Devices (compared to the JuicedLink).
Just a side note: using Magic Lantern, you get headphones (which I believe are actually essential for in camera recording). That's great, but you end up with just one audio channel. If you're recording more than one mic, you gotta mix it live, which is far from ideal.

Return to posts index

Peter Magnusson
on Dec 15, 2010 at 10:14:38 pm

Ed: How do you turn of the AGC in the camera?

Return to posts index

Ed Cilley
on Dec 16, 2010 at 3:37:46 am

Peter,

Sorry it took a while to respond. In the menu you should select Manual audio settings.

Take a look at Canon's website. It has a great description.

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3287

Hope that helps.

Ed

Avid and FCP Preditor

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Cross posted in Audio Professionals.
on Dec 2, 2010 at 2:53:49 am

CROSS Posted in Audio Professionals. Better Info there.

Return to posts index

Christopher Donnelly
on Dec 2, 2010 at 3:51:13 pm

I have the 7D, and usually only pay attention to the firmware upgrades for that, so someone correct me if I'm wrong on this...

Didn't the 5Dmii firmware upgrade not long ago give 5Dmii owners full control over audio levels, defeating the purpose of Magic Lantern's audio controls?

If you went the Juice Linked route for audio, I would assume you wouldn't need Magic Lantern's hack...just plug the pre-amp right into the camera.

-EDIT:
Just saw what you wrote about Magic Lantern's feature about turning the camera's jack into a headphone jack. My apologies.

-------------
Chris Donnelly

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]