FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 7D and low contrast

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Lister
Canon 7D and low contrast
on Nov 27, 2010 at 4:32:04 pm

Whenever I view footage from my 7D, it never seems to have much contrast which in turn, makes it look a little murky. What are all of the proper settings for shooting HD on the 7D?

I'm using a Canon 28-135mm F3.5 zoom lens (kit lens) and a Sandisk Ultra 4GB 30MB/s card.

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Canon 7D and low contrast
on Nov 27, 2010 at 4:54:45 pm

I recImmend neutral and grade during post production

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: From Still to Motion, Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and Motion Graphics with Adobe Creative Suite 5 Studio Techniques

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 27, 2010 at 8:12:13 pm

Totally agree best to shot "flat" with contrast, sharpness and saturation turned down. But this is in your Picture Style settings. There is presets of Neutral and Faithful that are flat looking.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Nov 29, 2010 at 10:58:02 am

Well Phil,

We use a Canon 5D mark II which is similar, but, use a Sandisk Extreme III UDMA 40-60 mbps for HD 1080P because the 5D runs at 38.5 mbps, we use the same EF 35mm lens because of it'e surperb Image stabilization but, set the camera settings to LANDSCAPE as most of our work is travel, and then add a bit of sharpness. You realise the Exposure mode changes from Evaluative to Average when using the 5D Mark II on 1920 x 1080p HD video, this remarkably improves the contrast range and you can tell the difference when shooting stills which we set at Evaluative.
The above may be of some help as the result is broadcast quality exposure and colour, which needs little effects work or editing quality control in Premiere Pro. We set the camera manually on 1/50 sec and let it find it's own ISO rating and aperture unless we want to mess about with depth of field, which the 35mm sensor is very good at.
We have had no problems in 18 months of operation from Egypt, Tibet, China and New Zealand as well as Lord Howe Island Jazz Festival. It is in PAL @25fps , not 24 fps movie mode. If you are using a Sony Bravia HD TV do not set it to Cinema Mode only Vivid, that will give you the best results. What you see on the LCD should be on Premiere Pro Monitor and TV. Good luck.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Nov 29, 2010 at 9:25:18 pm

Phil,

I bet it is whatever you are viewing it on TV, or Monitor, if it is good on the Canon 7 LCD, otherwise back to Canon Service for a check up.

Good luck

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Michael Folorunsho
on Nov 29, 2010 at 11:15:37 am

I shoot on neutral with sharpness and contrast turned all the way down; saturation down one notch.

Michael Folorunsho - Videographer & Editor
http://www.mikedoesmedia.com

Return to posts index

Phil Lister
on Nov 29, 2010 at 9:34:59 pm

Thanks guys, for all the help and advice! It does look fine on the camera playback.

Phil Lister

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]