FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mark 5D 30p to 24p

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Parker Detchon
Mark 5D 30p to 24p
on Feb 4, 2010 at 6:27:32 pm

Hey Cows!

I shot the first bit of a short film on a Sony EX3 at 1080 24p, and have chopped it up. Just recently the last scene was shot on a Canon Mark 5D, at 1080 in 30p! I've edited it down in a 30p timeline, and want to integrate the final shots into the ending. What's the best workflow to get this Canon H264 30p into my Sony EX3 24p timeline?

p.s. I'm on FCP 6.0.6

Parker

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: Mark 5D 30p to 24p
on Feb 4, 2010 at 6:50:24 pm

We've done lots of testing with Compressor, After Effects (Twixtor) etc. Easiest way is using Compressor (see Philip Bloom's site for tutorial on converting to 24p) but just know you will get ghosting on certain frames or lost frames if you don't frame blend. Just have to test the various methods and see what's best for your show.

You did do the right thing cutting at 30fps first, then transcoding cut.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Eric Hansen
on Feb 5, 2010 at 3:46:15 am

Tomi writes: The footage and audio will be slowed down ever so slightly.

are you sure? according to your description, you're conforming 30.00fps to 23.98 in Cinema Tools, which just changes the playback flag on the Quicktime file from 30.00 to 23.98. this will slow down the footage by more than 20%. if you use Cinema Tools to conform 30.00 to 29.97, this would be "ever so slightly."

like Lance, i've done a bunch of tests using similar techniques and programs. my personal favorite is Twixtor, but on really fast footage it can fall apart quickly. any method will require a close inspection of the results to make sure you're not getting any unwanted artifacts, blends, etc. nothing is perfect for this conversion and unfortunately theres no Automatic button for this. i just watched a documentary DVD the other day that was definitely made from a 23.98 film print, but most of the source material was DV cameras shot at 60i. there were the warping "waves" typical of Twixtor along with other problems. so even projects with enough budget for "film-out" have trouble with this process.

e

Eric Hansen - The Audio Visual Plumber - http://www.avplumber.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 5, 2010 at 8:17:26 am

Yeah I agree - you really have to do your own testing for the show you're working on. As far as codecs, I'm not sure I would transcode to XDCAM, try Cineform or ProRES before going to another long-gop codec.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 5, 2010 at 8:17:38 pm

Hey Tom you don't have to get bent out of shape - a myriad of advice and opinions is what these forums are all about and most of the time there are various methods that can all yield the desired result.

We're all just trying to help and some of have done this for a living for a long time.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Feb 6, 2010 at 2:05:48 am

Thanks Tomi - sadly I don't have a right solution - it's gonna take some testing based on the footage - Compressor may be all that is needed but better results can probably be had using Twixtor - I'd have to see the footage for myself and run it though all the tests.

Our solution, which doesn't help here at all, was to not use the 5D and go with the 7D which shoots 23.976 natively - we're happy with the results but we would rather have found a suitable way to post the 5D full-frame footage and use it - but we were never happy with any tests we did.

In Parker's case he MUST find a remedy and all I suggest is try everything you can until you're happy with the end result - not great help I know.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]