FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic AF-100 - next step in the metamorphosis?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph W. Bourke
Panasonic AF-100 - next step in the metamorphosis?
on Nov 23, 2010 at 6:04:57 pm

I'm not trying to start an argument of any sort here - but a discussion would be great. I own the Canon T2i, and am just beginning to get my head around it as a video camera (lots of add-ons, a few no can do's, but pound for pound, a giant leap at a great price point).

An associate who's been shooting on the HVX200, just went to a dog and pony show in Boston yesterday, and had an almost hands-on look at it. He's ready to jump. What I'm trying to figure out...is this the next logical step in the evolution of the video camera, or an evolutional advance in the still camera?

It seems to have all the benchmarks of a true pro video camera (XLR inputs, viewfingder, interchangeable lenses, SDI output, etc.), and the price is pretty much in line with a DSLR, once you add the necessary aftermarket gadgets to make it function the way a pro video camera should. Any thoughts?

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Panasonic AF-100 - next step in the metamorphosis?
on Nov 23, 2010 at 7:02:25 pm

Yes this is the next step. This camera deals with a lot of the problems with using a DSLR, but it still has some limitations. This will be my next camera purchase. In fact I will probably sell my HVX to help pay for it.

But if you are going to buy this or anything else these days you have to be okay with the fact that something better is just around the corner.

Sony is coming out with something mid-next year but it will be in the $16-20K range.

But with all equipment purchases the question is - Do I need what this has to offer, and then how quickly can I pay this off? The payoff should be 6-12 months, IMO.

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Nov 24, 2010 at 2:18:30 am

It's a bit pricy for a 4/3 sensor, IMO.

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzo
on Nov 24, 2010 at 4:08:12 am

[Tony Connoly] "It's a bit pricy for a 4/3 sensor, IMO."

Compared to ?

For example, compared to the typical street price of $6,300 US for the popular Sony EX1R -- which only has 1/2" type sensors -- the list price for the AF100 is only $5,000 US. A 4/3" type sensor has several times the area of a 1/2" type sensor.

The AF100 will include many pro camcorder features, yet have few of the disadvantages of video-capable DSLR cameras. See:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?223673-AF-100-Another-DSLR-9-000-4...

http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ModelDetail?storeId...

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 24, 2010 at 5:04:06 am

I think it is price very aggressively. The next thing to this is the Newly announced Sony which has a Super35 chip but it jumps 3 or 4 times the price. I think I would settle for the 4/3" and have all that extra money to buy other stuff, like lenses.

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzo
on Nov 24, 2010 at 2:22:14 am

Everyone has different preferences, shooting styles, and production requirements. So there isn't ever likely to be a one-size-fits-all camera.

Even though I think the AF100 will probably be an excellent value (it's not shipping yet), there are situations where it might not be appropriate.

For example, a parfocal servo-zoom lens which can completely cover a >1/2" type sensor -- if one will ever become available -- is likely to be relatively expensive, _very_ expensive. If you really, really need a camcorder that uses a parfocal servo-zoom lens, an AF100 (with it 4/3" type sensor) is probably not the camcorder for you.

However, if you need a small interchangeable-lens, large-sensor camcorder which has depth of field characteristic very close to that of academy format 35mm motion picture film, and which has many features typically found both in pro camcorders and DSLRs, for under $5K US, the AF100 may deserve a close look.

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 24, 2010 at 4:19:58 am

I'll hopefully get my hands on one to play with in a couple of weeks.

Noah

Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio with Call Box Training. Featuring the Canon 5D Mark II and 7D.

Return to posts index

Peter DeCrescenzo
on Nov 24, 2010 at 5:04:39 am

[Peter DeCrescenzo] "... a parfocal servo-zoom lens which can completely cover a >1/2" type sensor -- if one will ever become available -- is likely to be relatively expensive, _very_ expensive. ..."

Oops. Meant to write >2/3", not >1/2"! :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]