FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony SLT-A55 or Canon 550D?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Morter-Laing
Sony SLT-A55 or Canon 550D?
on Nov 18, 2010 at 3:22:53 am

What with all the hype about Canon DSLRs for HD video, people sometimes overlook the other brands (as I almost just did...)

So guys, Sony SLT-A55 or Canon 550D?
I know the 550D has more effective pixels, but the Sony seems to have far more manual control during video recording, and certainly seems to be getting nothing but positivity in it's reviews....
What do you think?

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
Degree; TV Production

iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800).

Return to posts index

David Jones
Re: Sony SLT-A55 or Canon 550D?
on Nov 18, 2010 at 6:34:38 am

In terms of the Sony SLT-A55 it doesn't do 24fps and it's only (at most) 17Mbps compared to Canon's 5D at 50Mbps.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Nov 18, 2010 at 10:33:23 am

Ok is that the same with the 550d though? (still 50mbps I mean?)
Also I heard the AVCHD cameras have more powerful h.264 hardware encoders, so they enable more h.264 switches (that require lots of CPU power), which allows for better quality at lower bitrate. So dSLR's 48 mbps should be similar to a good AVCHD encoder at 24 mbps.
And Sony uses AVCHD.... and has better control when shooting. I'm particularly worried about the canon not being amazing at auto in some situations, and it only HAS auto for the video feature...

Tom Morter-Laing
Degree; TV Production

iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800).

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 18, 2010 at 3:47:05 pm

[Thomas Morter-Laing] "and it only HAS auto for the video feature..."

that is so wrong, camera is fully manual in video (can also be fully or partially auto)

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Nov 18, 2010 at 9:56:52 pm

"In terms of the Sony SLT-A55 it doesn't do 24fps and it's only (at most) 17Mbps compared to Canon's 5D at 50Mbps."

Is the 550D 50Mbps as well?

Also how does it compare to a Pentax K-7 or a Lumix GH1?

Tom Morter-Laing
Degree; TV Production

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Nov 18, 2010 at 9:57:32 pm

I mean, for video purposes....

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 19, 2010 at 4:43:30 am

After some research, according to one of Canon's websites (and other people's expert math skills), the 1D, 5D, 7D, and 60D, in fact all EOS cameras are 44Mbps. Also, the 550D does 24fps.

Dave J

Return to posts index

ted irving
on Jan 8, 2011 at 3:48:00 am

Did you continue your research and if so, what other info do you have to share? I'm looking to buy either the Sony A55 or the Canon 60D with the flip out screen. The A55 doe have a small mono speaker that at least you can use to determine that you are recording audio. I would still buy a BeachTek or Juicebox for either. I shoot mostly ENG and I've tested the Canon RebelT2i. I love the images I get and so for myself I think the Sony A55 or Canon 60D would be great or I might just wait until the next model Nikon, Sony or Canon comes out with a swivel screen and headphone jack. Glad you posted this.

Ted Irving
Content Freelancer
Media Instructor
http://www.tedtv.tv
tedirving@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

ted irving
on Jan 8, 2011 at 3:48:17 am

Did you continue your research and if so, what other info do you have to share? I'm looking to buy either the Sony A55 or the Canon 60D with the flip out screen. The A55 doe have a small mono speaker that at least you can use to determine that you are recording audio. I would still buy a BeachTek or Juicebox for either. I shoot mostly ENG and I've tested the Canon RebelT2i. I love the images I get and so for myself I think the Sony A55 or Canon 60D would be great or I might just wait until the next model Nikon, Sony or Canon comes out with a swivel screen and headphone jack. Glad you posted this.

Ted Irving
Content Freelancer
Media Instructor
http://www.tedtv.tv
tedirving@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jan 8, 2011 at 2:54:44 pm

For video quality the 550D is better, being a much higher bitrate of recording. The Sony has a few features such as continuous auto focus (which isn\'t actually that great apparently) but I\'m an all manual person so if something has the word \"auto\" in it, I dont care. The Sony has a few other gimmicks like GPS I think, but again I don\'t care, gimmicks are... Gimmicks...
The 60D I'm pretty sure you pay a lot more and it's essentially just a flip screen, no real advantage unless you want to video yourself or something like that lol. The 60D hardware I'm pretty sure is essentially the same...

Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Dennis Hull
on Jan 15, 2011 at 2:34:01 am

I also am comparing paper specs on Sony SLT A55 and Canon Rebel T2i (in USA), but have any forum members had field video experience with these cameras which has uncovered unexpected problems or benefits? In my case, as much as I read about cameras, nothing substitutes for several weeks shooting to uncover things I didn't think about when reading reviews or promotional literature. I just hope I don't discover some fatal flaw.

It looks to me like both are great cameras in the $800 price range,but have some different features catering maybe to different audiences.

In my case I have used a Sony VX2000 for years mostly for "hobby" use filming vintage sports car racing and vacation scenery, but now want to get into HD at the $800 price point. The depth of field creativity offered by these two cameras interests me, but I have never fully understood how "shutter speed" relates to video cameras. Will I be able to control both shutter speed and aperature to manage depth of field in video mode for either of these cameras? In still photos I understand how you control depth of field with speed/iris, but don't see how that applies to video? Can someone explain that?

Also it looks like for video editing (I just got Avid Media Composer 5, but haven't "learned" it yet)the AVCHD and MPEG4 offered by Sony A55 might be an advantage over the .mov which it seems is all you get from T2i?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]