FORUMS: list search recent posts

The future

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Connoly
The future
on Nov 17, 2010 at 3:25:18 pm

Now that Sony has a video cam with APS sized sensor and exchangeable lenses that can take any SLR lens out there with the proper adapter, is there any reason to continue to use DSLRs for video?

Return to posts index

Fred Robinson
Re: The future
on Nov 17, 2010 at 4:20:17 pm

Immediate thing that strikes me: For a full-sized sensor.

What is the new Sony camera? I'll take a look at the specs and see if I can think of anything else.

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Nov 17, 2010 at 4:21:19 pm

It's called Sony NEX-VG10.

Return to posts index

Fred Robinson
on Nov 17, 2010 at 4:30:12 pm

So can you put Canon SLR lenses onto that thing. I can't see SONY allowing any lenses other than their own to be honest. If I'm wrong though, then it's certainly very interesting.

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Nov 17, 2010 at 4:37:02 pm

Short answer: You can put any lens you want on it with the proper adapter.

Long Answer: Adapters usually sell for $50 - $300 depending on whether they're made in China, Japan or Germany. There is a whole cottage industry of companies making adapters. Because the Sony has the shortest distance between sensor and lens known to man, you can literally put any lens you want on it. Sony could have stopped this practice by requiring that the lens identify itself via an IP-protected electronic interface, but they would be the first camera maker to do that, as far as I know, and they would be shooting themselves in the foot.

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 17, 2010 at 4:28:25 pm

Is this the Sony camera you're referring to? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/743863-REG/Sony_PMW_F3L_PMW_F3L_Super...

The Sony lists at $16K compared to the Canon 5D at $2.5K. According to one article I read, Sony is targeting the RED camera with this [PMW-F3L]. IMO, the reason the 5D & 7D are so popular is the quality vs. cost factor. I'm not sure the same people using (or considering) the 5D are going to march out and spend that much on the Sony.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Nov 17, 2010 at 4:38:38 pm

The Sony NEX-VG10 is less than $2K, and it comes with an 18-200 lens.

That $16K monster is in a different league, isn't it?

Return to posts index

David Jones
on Nov 17, 2010 at 4:40:06 pm

Sorry, I see you were referring to the Sony NEX-VG10.

I come from using professional broadcast cameras, and I would still prefer the Canon 5D. For one thing, as I understand it, the Sony records at 24mbps compared to the 5D's 50mbps. The Canon looks to be much better built; the Sony looks like it would break after one bad incident.

Dave J

Return to posts index

Steve Crow
on Nov 17, 2010 at 7:06:56 pm

I certainly wouldn't jump over quite yet...Sony has a great reputation in the broadcast camera area and the really good EX1 and EX3 line but in the DSLR video area I would say that Canon has the most experience.

Still, Sony could have produced an outstanding camera, one well worth considering.

I just don't want to be the first in line to try it but will watch with interest what other users think about the camera when used for real productions.

Using adapters isn't ideal for cost reasons if nothing else. As pointed out in the last response, Data rate, frame rate and compression are other factors that will be interesting to compare. Of course user interface and overall build quality is another huge area.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 18, 2010 at 5:02:18 am

They just announced another Super35 camera, NXCAM, will be priced more like the Panny AF100. There is room and reason for all these cameras, options are a good thing. I would love the F3 but I would probably have to go with the AF100 because of price alone. Then of course you still need a ton of accessories.

Return to posts index

Fred Robinson
on Nov 18, 2010 at 9:07:06 am

Looking at the specs too, looks like there's no p formats, only interlaced. So that's another reason to stick to the DSLR for now. However, this is a good direction to be taking. If a 'proper' video camera came out to which I could attach my canon lenses, then I'd rather use that that a SLR for the added controllability.

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Nov 18, 2010 at 12:49:36 pm

I looked at the p issue, and the camera actually is recording 30p. It saves it in a 60i package, but it's easily converted back to 30p without any loss in quality.

Return to posts index

Tony Connoly
on Nov 18, 2010 at 12:56:48 pm

I don't understant price of NXCAM or AF100. Why can Canon produce a full frame DSLR for so much less? AF100 is not even in the ballpark in terms of sensor size--it's a 4/3 sensor.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 18, 2010 at 3:44:42 pm

Why, HD SDI, HDMI, XLR in puts, built in ND filters, HD quality LCD with waveform and other scopes. Focus assist. larger form factor, more control over the recording. The list goes on.

Most importantly these sensors are made for video and not stills. They are huge in size, less pixels is a very good thing. No line skipping to get down to 1920x1080. They are not for everyone because of the price but they are far superior in their function and image. This does not render DSLR useless and out of date. Everything has its place.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]