FORUMS: list search recent posts

T2i patterns, light, ISO

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rodrigo Alva
T2i patterns, light, ISO
on Nov 14, 2010 at 3:35:33 am

Hey guys,

Last night while waiting for a shooting in a bar decided to go and play around with the band that was playing as a test for the real concert to be recorded. I was expecting noise due to the 1600 ISO, low light in the venue, etc. I was not expecting any pattern or vibration on the clip, it is way more evident when that strong purple light was in the shot..any comments? I'm wondering if the sensor in the camera was just not able to deal with the light source under low light, or if it is a problem with the T2i or even worse a problem with MY T2i...

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: T2i patterns, light, ISO
on Nov 14, 2010 at 3:45:26 am

One thing, you are out of focus most of the time.

But you are expect way too much from your camera. I HD Camcorder like the HVX would even come close to this image.

T2i should be kept at ISO 800 or lower, but if these were in focus it would be usable. There is no white light on the subject, unless you go up to a 5D or the 1D you are not going to get much better.

What lens are you using, for this type of stuff you really need fast lens, even faster than 2.8. Then for handheld you need a brace or IS, the problem with IS lens that are not faster then 2.8

Return to posts index

Rodrigo Alva
on Nov 14, 2010 at 3:57:32 am

Yep I'm aware of the focus factor, just picked up a bit of a clip(s) where the pattern was more obvious. I thought it was an IS lens but I'm almost sure now that is my sigma 70-300..slow, no IS..

Thanks for the comment... I got a bit worry when I saw those horizontal lines on the second clip.. But figured that under those conditions and that ISO it had to be "normal"..

Return to posts index

Ryan Mast
on Nov 14, 2010 at 8:32:39 pm

Most cheap DJ LED lights like that use PWM for dimming, so that pattern is brought to you by rolling shutter and flicker. The PWM "dims" the fixture by turning it on and off very quickly. Most humans don't see it; cameras do.

It's especially bad if you're shooting 24p or PAL in a 60hz country, or 24p or NTSC in a 50hz country.

--
Meteor Tower Films
We make fun things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]