FORUMS: list search recent posts

which lens?

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Linzer
which lens?
on Nov 13, 2010 at 5:09:48 pm

Hi, I'm wanting to get a zoom lens for my T2i. I want to get the Canon 70-200 2.8 lens. My question is which one? Should I get the older one with IS or the new one IS II? the price difference is now only about $170. I've read that the newer lens enhances moire patterns in the video(the reason that the lens resolution is to sharp for the sensor), hence my question. Also is there a way to minimize the problem with moire? Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Farnsworth
Re: which lens?
on Nov 13, 2010 at 7:15:44 pm

You hear many opinions. One tends to like those opinions that save money. Some have voiced that the newer lens is "too sharp" for video purposes, excellent for photos. I cannot give you a real world comparison, however, I shoot with the older one and the quality is fantastic.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: which lens?
on Nov 13, 2010 at 10:51:16 pm

The big difference between the two lenses it the IS on the II can be used on a tripod. It was a $400 difference. I would differ to others on the sharpness/moire issue. I would kill for either. There are a lot sharper lenses out there being used (Zeiss Primes for example) so I'm not sure I would pass on the better IS in the II version.

One key to help minimize moire is to shot flat color and turn the camera sharpening all the way down.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]