FORUMS: list search recent posts

My DIY camera dolly

COW Forums : DSLR Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Metzel
My DIY camera dolly
on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:25:14 am

I recently made this camera dolly in my dads machine shop. I designed it on Pro/e and went to work. It worked so good a few friends asked me to make them some. Once I got it all set up I was able to pop these out in a day. They all are loving the results as well. Here is a video sample of what it can do and what went into the making of it.

Any questions email me at metzel.doug@gmail.com or check out http://www.dougmetzel.com/dolly

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/16493056?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0&color=ffffff" width="601" height="338" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
Re: My DIY camera dolly
on Nov 12, 2010 at 2:49:31 pm

awesome!

I love these DIY solutions! Couple questions: Is the track linked or is just the two separate pieces of aluminum? What's the stability like with a longer lens? Also in the table top shots without the track it didn't look like there was a lot of room between the horizontal wheels. Is the platform big enough to handle a bigger body and or rails with matte box etc?

Good job!

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

Doug Metzel
on Nov 12, 2010 at 4:20:57 pm

The track is continuous aluminum, no links. I wanted to insure a smooth shot along the rails. The setup would support a long lens just fine. I even think it would support some of the extremely long lenses; I would have to do some testing to be positive. The kart is designed to have a tripod head mounted to it. This gets it up and out of the way for larger cameras. I designed it to be as small as possible to save weight and space. What drives the size is the ability to rotate the wheels to get the rotational shots. I just checked on my solid model and the length between the horizontal wheels is 5.22”. Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 12, 2010 at 10:53:51 pm

I wish the video showed the device a little bit more but the shots are great.

Return to posts index

Christopher Kinsman
on Nov 16, 2010 at 12:21:35 pm

Nice work!

Making any to sell?

Kind Regards,

Chris K

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Nov 16, 2010 at 1:28:38 pm